1988 Charger 195v Resto

Hi all, new to the site. Starting a project boat that i picked up today. Its not a ground up build, but not just a spit shine either....

Got the boat and trailer (no engine) for $500.

its going to need new carpet, seats, wiring, and all pumps on the inside. Then its gonna need wet sanding and polish on the outside, gel is badly oxidized. seeing as this is my first build, i figured id come here for any advice, tips, or any info on how to go about this deal, as well as keep a record of start to finish.

Heres some pics to kick it off.

20190517_183748_resized.jpg
    20190517_183858_resized.jpg
    20190517_183920_resized.jpg

that will be a nice ride when your done with it

3. Member
    That's a nice find. Assuming the transom and stringers are solid that's just a bunch of elbow grease and some relatively inexpensive materials to bring back...plus a motor of course.

4. Member
    Floor was redone before as far as I can tell, not the cleanest job ever but its solid. And I poked at the wood in the transom through the motor mount holes, didn't get any rotted wood coming out. Working on the gelcoat this weekend will post some pics.

Also, it's missing one of the stainless railing on one side, think that can be replicated somehow?

5. Member
    welp....here's my first "what the hell am i doing?!" moment

so this past weekend we were sanding and polishing the gelcoat with good results. as i was looking at the bow i noticed the hull looked to be much lower than the top cap at the very point of the bow, after pulling out some silicone that somebody gobbed up there and noticed quite the gap... here's some pics let me know what you all think about this...

20190528_191740_resized.jpg
    this is my index finger in the gap
    20190528_191703_resized.jpg
    also here's a standard BIC lighter for size reference
    20190528_191731_resized.jpg

6. Member
    Last edited by GingerBeardRyan; 05-28-2019 at 06:47 PM.

7. Member
    Looks like that rub rail was pushed up while loading the boat on the trailer. you should be able to take the black center out, take out all of the screws in the area, and move it back down.

8. Member
    That's what I was hoping to hear, how hard is it to get the black part back into the track?

9. Member
    Well, after trying that I'm thinking that's how it's going to stay. I tried sitting on it (I weigh 220) and it wouldn't budge. I planned on replacing the rub rail anyways so maybe I'll give it another shot when i get to that

Also, the bottom of the rub rail in the pics is the bottom of the top cap, the screws were only catching about an 1/8th inch of the bottom it appears someone had this cap off before when they redid the transom and floor maybe?
    Last edited by GingerBeardRyan; 05-29-2019 at 04:45 PM.

10. Member
    that would be my guess. To fix the gap, i would pull the cap, find where the high spot thats holding it up is, and address that issue accordingly.

11. Member
    After calling and speaking with jim at charger. He told me to get 2 big clamps and squeeze down on the nose with them and that actually did the trick.

12. Member
    update time.

the last few weeks ive been able to get a big chunk of this project finished.

bought an engine-99' suzuki DT150
    got a trolling motor
    cleaned bilge and replaced all pumps/hoses that were shot.
    decided to go with durabak on the floors, never liked carpet and im really happy with how it looks.

going to hang the engine next weekend. and then im water ready. plan on fishing it until winter when work slows down to finish up and cosmetic loose ends, windshield, new seats, ect...

20190622_202841 (1).jpgboat1.jpegthumbnail.jpegResized_20190629_172718 - Edited.jpg