Question Wiring for a starter on a 300xs

I recently put a new wiring harness on my 300xs and now my starter is intermintanty sticky. There are 2 yellow and red wires that come off the harness. Both of them are currently on the same post of the starter solenoid. This does not seem right to me.

The other issue is to the secondary solennoid that is on the block. There is one yellow and red wire that goes there along with a lot of red power leads and one ground to the block. Looking at traditional wiring diagrams for a 300xs it appears that one of the yellow and red wires coming off the wiring harness should be going to this secondary solenoid BUT it is not like the one shown. It does not have a post for it. The model I have is 2 larger posts and then 2 tiny posts that have the ground going to the block and a brown wire that has a small plug in connection on the end, currently attached to nothing.

So..... i have replaced the starter....same issue is occuring. The starter wheel pops up about an inch and stops. 1 out of 10 tries it goes all the way and starts the engine. Once that occurs in will work normally for a while and then after a rest period will revert to sticking..

Lost

Please see forum announcements at top of forum and provide the appropriate information
    It is not right, disconnect both yel/red wires, while holding the key in the crank position one of them will have voltage. it is supposed to be connected to the small terminal on the slave solonoid, opposite the small ground, the one that was not hot should connect to the larger post opposite of the battery connections, the other end of this wire connects the solonoid on the starter as this is the excite wire
    The slave solonoid works like a amplifier to provide increased amp flow (less voltage drop) to the main starter mounted solonoid.
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-17-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info with your post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor