very hard to release latch on my ultrex

When I need to raise the motor I have to really yank the cable to get it to release, I guess the k
    locking mechanism is in a bind, any quick fixes ? Thanks

2. Member
    Bump stop need adjusted? Maybe it’s just a tad to long and putting to much pressure on the lock.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

3. Member
    Your trolling motor is mounted in a twist and the mount is not running "square" to the latch bar. You need to loosen bolts to relieve the twist, the shim the loose bolts.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Mine was having a little difficulty after some use. A little spray lube and good to go.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    Mine was having a little difficulty after some use. A little spray lube and good to go.
    I hope it was not WD40.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Your trolling motor is mounted in a twist and the mount is not running "square" to the latch bar. You need to loosen bolts to relieve the twist, the shim the loose bolts.
    John
    2nd this "John is all ways right"

After squaring up the mount my works great when before it took all you had to get it to unlock
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    I hope it was not WD40.
    No.. not the magic WD40. Save that for my plastic bait fishing... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    I hope it was not WD40.
    Why not ??
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Why not ??
    Because it will eat plastic like a pig in a slop pen. It is the Petroleum base and that will get to the plastic. It makes it soft with time and weird things start to happen. Use a silicon base or synthetic base lube.
    That applies to any plastic.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Why not ??
    And also its not a lubricant, it’s a water displacing solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    No.. not the magic WD40. Save that for my plastic bait fishing... lol.
    Not sprayed on baits as some kind of supposed attractant I hope. Old wives tale and it pollutes the water.
    Last edited by Cerus; 05-22-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Formulation
    WD-40's formula is a trade secret, and has not changed over the years, according to historian Iris Engstrand.[3]

To avoid disclosing its composition, the product was not patented in 1953, and the window of opportunity for patenting it has long since closed.[7] WD-40's main ingredients as supplied in aerosol cans, according to US Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50% "aliphatic hydrocarbons". The manufacturer's website claims this ratio in the current formulation cannot accurately be described as Stoddard solvent, a similar mixture of hydrocarbons.[16]
    <25% petroleum base oil. Presumably a mineral oil or light lubricating oil.
    12–18% low vapor pressure aliphatic hydrocarbon. Reduces the liquid's viscosity so that it can be used in aerosols. The hydrocarbon evaporates during application.
    2–3% carbon dioxide. A propellant which is now used instead of the original liquefied petroleum gas to reduce WD-40's flammability. (A bulk liquid version, without a propellant, is also manufactured for industrial use.)
    <10% inert ingredients.
    The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety-relevant ingredients:

60–80% hydrogen-treated heavy naphtha (a petroleum product used in wick-type cigarette lighters)
    1–5% carbon dioxide
    It warns of the product's high flammability and the risk of irritation to human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40. Wearing nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses are advised (ordinary rubber disintegrates if exposed to petroleum products). It also mentions that water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

In 2009, Wired published an article with the results of gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy tests on WD-40, showing that the principal components were C9 to C14 alkanes and mineral oil.[17]
    .................................................. .................................................. .....

Only 25% petroleum (Mineral oil )
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents