92 Johnson 200 not starting

Johnson 200 VJ200SLENS G 03046925, can't get it to start, might be a starter issue. It will almost start (kind of pop) then the Bendix drops out of the flywheel and the starter motor just whirs, then the starter won't engage the flywheel for a couple of attempts, then it repeats the sequence of engaging the flywheel, but drops out as soon as the engine almost starts. Should I try a new starter? thanks.
    1993 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2000 Johnson 225 6" Slidemaster
    36V 52" Ultrex Ipilot Link

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'd make sure your cranking battery is fully charged and connections are clean and tight. No wing nuts on the battery.

3. Member
    No wing nuts, fully charged, at least it was when I began trying to start it.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    How does the bendix shaft look....clean and shiny?? It does sound like the bendix is dropping out, but can be normal when the engine tries to start.......the problem I see is it doesn't want to go back up......could be weak battery or shaft needs a little cleaning....

5. Member
    Video of what it's doing...

6. Member
    Cleaned all of the connections on battery, and starter, had battery load tested, tested good, bendix shaft is clean no pitting. Checked cranking voltage at starter 12.2V. Still won't start. Seems to be firing on a cylinder or two, but doesn't actually start. Ideas of what to do next? Thanks

7. Member
    Seems like the starter isnt disengaging fast enough. Eng starts to fire but stops because of drag. Ive had luck cleaning and lubing the bendix and have limped along for a while. Though i would plan a starter soon.

8. Member
    Ok, update, ordered new starter and starter solenoid, all connections clean and tight, battery fully charged, no change, will pop and then bendix drops out. Continues to do the same thing. Advice please.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Is your throttle advanced? That will cause them not to engage. Pull your plugs out and kill switch off and crank it to see if it will spin freely.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Is your throttle advanced? That will cause them not to engage. Pull your plugs out and kill switch off and crank it to see if it will spin freely.
    After posting yesterday, I pulled the spark plugs and they were super wet with fuel, I cranked it without the plugs and it and it cranked fine. I let it set for an hour, put the plugs back in and it cranked right up, I guess I was hitting the primer when I was cranking it and flooded it. Looks to be OK now.

Thanks for the help!