will a fuel filter from an auto parts store work ok on a 200 hp outboard?

This may be a dumb question, but it won't be the first time I asked one. 1988 200 hp Mercury Outboard, s/n OB 332898. Just wondering if I can go some place like NAPA and get an in-line fuel filter and use on it, or if there is anything special about a Mercury branded filter. If you recommend a Merc filter, does anyone know the model number? I looked on Mercury Marine parts and I don't see one like what we have, it looks like a little canister rather than the style you see for a riding lawn mower, for instance.

Thanks

2. Member
    My Napa store can get marine parts like Sierra brand, which is fine for inline fuel filters. They will cross reference for correct part.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Do not add additional filters, just replace the OE filter. High probability of fuel starvation and vapor lock
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I called Merc and got the part number to order the Quicksilver oem part. Thanks for your help and have a blessed week

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Do not add additional filters, just replace the OE filter. High probability of fuel starvation and vapor lock
    +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................