Going to a dropshot specific rod from a generic setup

I've been searching many threads about dropshot specific rods.

I started throwing a dropshot last year, and honestly fish it 90% of the time anymore. I fish mostly shallow(less than 15ft) and for LMB, I only T rig with small roboworm hooks. Since it's shallow water I'm casting this out all of the time. I also am not afraid to throw my current setup around laydowns, got to hook them first to catch them is my thought.

Here's my current setup

6'6' BPS Carbonlite (original black blank) M/F
    Pfluger president (2500 or 3000)
    15lb braid to 8lb floro
    Robo worm #2 hooks T-rigged usually fishing a zoom 4" finesse worm
    1/8th ounce weight 90% of the time.

I don't have many complaints with my setup now, I love all the different ways you'll feel or not feel the bite. However as everything in bass fishing, what could I be missing too? I don't lose many fish, and have caught a few 4-5lbers. With the M action I can't cast the light weight a mile, but still a good distance.

I'm shy to go with a ML setup as I'm T-rigging, I currently set the hook with a quick but smooth jerk. I keep my drag pretty loose and adjust while fighting the fish. It's a game.

So for you guys that may of fished with more a generic setup for dropshot, what are your experiences going to a higher end setup? What am I missing?

2. Member
    I use a 6’9 med lite St Croix Avid X and an older Loomis DSR Mag drop shot rod. I definitely prefer the St Croix over the Loomis as far as sensitivity and weight but the Loomis has a softer action. You shouldn’t have an issue setting the hook with a Texas rig on a Med-Lite rod. That’s how I used to hook my baits every single time then I changed hooks and nose hook it now. Drop shot baits are thin and the hook is usually a light wire so you don’t need a ton of pressure to set the hook with them. Using a 6’6 med action rod will get you by but if you’re going with a rod shorter than 7’ I’d go with a Med lite. Anything over you can get by with a Med. my primary reason for this is a shorter med action rod will have less flex and won’t load like a med lite would. Once you get a longer rod (insert joke here) the flex of a med rod is a lot more forgiving.

id recommend a St Croix Avid X Med lite either 6’9 or 7’0”. If you want to stick with medium, I’d recommend a 7’0” Fenwick Elite Tech. St Croix Med rods are a bit too stiff for my liking with drop shot
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    I use a medium light when nose hooking a drop shot but go with a medium action 7’ spinning rod when T rigging a drop shot

4. Member
    I like casting in deeper water so something closer to 7 ft give me a good blend of length and control. That being said, your set up looks fine to me as long as you think you have enough flex lower down the blank to absorb the pressure on smaller hooks and lighter line.

5. Member
    I believe the longer the rod the more natural (vertical) presentation of the line. its in my head so thats what it is. My setup: 7' ML with shimano 2500 symetre. I have 2 of these the other with a Ned on it I use as backup. I love this setup....BUT...I am starting to think I may add a 7'6" to 7'9" ML for a new dropshot rod.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys, I ended up purchasing a 6'9" MLXF St Croix Avid from BPS as I had a gift card and points to burn up.

I preferred the avid x handle but didn't want to bother with the micro guides as I tie a leader exclusively.