Why don't they????

So, from what I can tell, the best side/down transducer (excluding mega) that garmin offers is the GT30. 500w per element. Now, if a guy wants 2d sonar, he needs to add a y cable and gt8 or 15. Ok, but that's more wiring, and install headache. Or, get the GT50, which looks to be a combined gt15+gt30. Great! I will gladly drop $500 on that! Now, suppose I want high frequency 2d. (150-240) Well, if I want an all-in one with high frequency 2d, I am left with the GT52 and its puny 350w scanning elements. Even the new GT54 has only 350w per scanning element. Ok, I get it... Probably keeps cost down on their packaged units. But, why, oh why, can't they offer more like the GT50? 2d AND good scanning elements?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    With the All in One ducers are you ok mounting them down at the pad to get a 2d reading while on plane???

I have the GT15/GT30 combo, installed my own ducers, ran wires and connected to unit......no headache at least for me....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I'm new to Garmin so that what I say with a grain of salt. The unit I bought (94SV+) came with the GT51, 500 watts, does all 3.

4. Member
    The 51 is great, but still mid band chirp (80-160) as well as lower frequency scanning sonar. As far as mounting, on my boat, between the jet, exhaust turn-down boxes, trim tabs, and strakes, transom space is very limited. Would really like to only put one ducer on. Plus, shooting through aluminum can be unreliable. I have no issues with my cv52 losing contact when on step. Keeps the bottom no problem. I did notice that despite the lower frequency, the 50's cone angle is listed at 15-26* vs the 52's 16-24*. Maybe a misprint? Or I'm missing something? I thought higher frequency = wider cone.
    Well, cabelas has the 50 on sale right now for $250, so I ordered one to try. As long as the target separation on the 2d is as good or better than the 52, ill be happy.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    ..... Maybe a misprint? Or I'm missing something? I thought higher frequency = wider cone.
    Not a misprint. A lot can be done via engineering today. You can find 200 kHz transducers offered at 10 degrees and 20 degrees. Generally it takes a higher frequency to produce those very tight front to back 1 degree cones for side imaging. 455, 800, mega.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Of course. Makes sense... So, how is 2d target separation on the gt50 vs the gt52? I know my 93sv/cv will be better coming from a cv52.

7. Member
    It's hard to say without an artificial setup designed to measure tiny differences. I've used both at the same time but they were mounted fore and aft so they weren't viewing the same targets. The claims of some sonar products defy the principles of target separation, target resolution, range resolution. For non chirp transducers its supposed to be a factor of pulse width and frequency. For chirp transducers it's supposed to be dependent on the bandwidth. The wider the better. The GT50 has a bandwidth of 80 while the GT52 has a bandwidth of 90. For most Airmar transducers they publish the graphs of FOM vs Frequency and you can verify that the specs match performance. I have seen the plots of some Garmin transducers and can say that the published specs are accurate. I have also seen some from other brands that are unreasonably exaggerated and that the advertised peak performance is overstated.

While the GT52 has a slight edge on the specs, in practice the GT50 seems more sensitive. It's kind of like comparing the GT8 with the GT15. The GT15 is the better transducer being more powerful and more sensitive but sometimes so much so that depending on the water I might have to turn the gain down some to eliminate some of the returns.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    Cool! Sounds like I will be happy with the change then! I am a little curious as to why they are selling them so cheap right now. Last time cabelas had big discounts on the 93+ units, it was right before the ones with g3 mapping were released.

9. Member
    Good thread, I would agree with the above post that for some reason I seem to get better images with my GT-50 than I do with my GT-52. No idea why.
    Last edited by rpr; 05-18-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)