Thread: Ultrex Help

Ultrex Help

I have had a Minn Kota Ultrex for 3 months. I was fishing today and it just shut off. I'm pretty sure it's getting power. The circuit breaker is not the problem. Can anyone give me any tips on troubleshooting this thing or tell me if you have had this happen to you, and what fixed it?

Have you tried the remote control to see if it will run the Ultrex?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    Light on on the foot pedal?
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

4. Member
    Mine started like that then it got to where the light stayed on even when it was turned off. After several hours of research everything lead me to the switch. I removed the switch and recrimped the wire connectors on the switch and problem solved. I just fixed a buddy's last week that was doing the same thing. Only takes a couple of minutes so it's definitely worth a try.

5. Member
    I would start by making sure it's getting full power with the foot pedal set to constant. These motors are extremely voltage sensitive. Next, pull the switch and make sure the wires are securely connected to the switch. This motor turns on by disconnecting the circuit inside switch.
    Next, need to know what isn't working --- transmission, lower unit, etc.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpc75 View Post
    Mine started like that then it got to where the light stayed on even when it was turned off. After several hours of research everything lead me to the switch. I removed the switch and recrimped the wire connectors on the switch and problem solved. I just fixed a buddy's last week that was doing the same thing. Only takes a couple of minutes so it's definitely worth a try.
    The faulty connections on the switch will only prevent the Ultrex from shutting OFF. It will not prevent the unit from powering up.

I’d check continuity’s on the positive and negative leads from the batteries to the foot pedal and also check the series cable that connects each battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jpc75 View Post
    Mine is doing the same thing. I may have to investigate this 'crimpo' as well. TM seems to work normally, but on/off switch is wishy washy.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

Well I just opened the bottom of mine (unplugged from power first) and all connections looked fine, no corrosion etc. So I just simply put a pair of needle nose to the crimps on the 2 wires that connect to the switch and also added some 'squeeze' tension where the connectors insert on switch's blades. Connected to power and switch seems to function correctly now.
    Thanks again.15584609819754681989393032707063.jpg
    5 min fix.
    Last edited by Legend Chris; 05-21-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003