Best Prop for Stratos 1760DV

I have 2016 Stratos 1760DV with Mercury 115 FourStroke...looking for the best prob...im a complete newby when it comes to props...it currently has a laser2 20 pitch.

2. Member
    No one has any suggestions?

3. Member
    Trophy plus 19 pitch for the 2 stroke pro xs

4. Member
    Gymjunkie, what RPM are you turning with the Laser2 - 20? What is your max speed? How quick is the holeshot? What is the typical load for the boat? You going out alone, have a partner, bringing the wife and kids?

We need to know a few more details and what you are looking to do. These are all things that will help figure out a good direction to look at for props.

With no other information, I would say 1760DV and 115 Four Stroke, a Spitfire X7 - 17P is likely right in the sweet spot for your combo. I have a Ranger 681VS (17'-7" with 80" beam, hull weight 1100 lbs) with a Mariner 2 stroke and have a Spitfire X7 - 19P and it is a sweet setup. My boat is a little lighter and narrower than yours so I can probably turn just a bit bigger prop. Getting ready to repower with a 115 ProXS Four Stroke, so I may end up with a 17P as well to get up to the max RPM on the new motor.

5. Member
    Most of the time I will be out alone but occasionally with the wife and kids maybe pull a tube. Currently only getting 5100 rpm and max speed was 45 to 45 but it wasn't really smooth water. It is a dog out of the hole...trimmed all the way down out of the hole it still lifts a lot and takes awhile to plane.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymjunkie83 View Post
    Most of the time I will be out alone but occasionally with the wife and kids maybe pull a tube. Currently only getting 5100 rpm and max speed was 45 to 45 but it wasn't really smooth water. It is a dog out of the hole...trimmed all the way down out of the hole it still lifts a lot and takes awhile to plane.
    Okay, a couple more questions for you... Was the 45 mph a GPS speed reading or gauge reading? 45 at 5100 rpm seems a little off for the size of the boat and motor but it may be accurate. My boat is a bit smaller and narrower and I get about 43 at 5200 rpm with the old 2 stroke with the 19P prop. Sounds like you need to go down to about a 17" prop. I would say the Spitfire X7 - 17P is going to be right in the ballpark for you. It will give you a much better holeshot being a lower pitch, it'll give great bite while cornering and in rougher water, and it will get your motor up into the higher rpm range where it can be a little happier. You likely wont see much on the top end speed if that is a GPS 45 you were seeing. But you will get there faster and launching with a load of kids in the boat will be much more satisfying.

Here is a video I did on my Ranger testing the Laser 2 - 22P I had along with a Spitfire X7 - 19P that I bought.

1998 Ranger 681VS Prop Testing - Coon Lake, MN - August 15th, 2018

Specs 1998 Ranger 681VS
    1998 Mariner 115 2 Stroke
    2018 Minnesota Ultrex
    3/4 tank of gas
    3 Group 27 batteries
    Full load of tackle and about 20 rods
    76° water temp - 85° air temp

Prop in segments 1 and 2 is Mercury Marine Laser II - 22P Top speed - 42.3 two guys - 42.7 solo

Prop in segments 3 and 4 is Mercury Marine Spitfire X7 - 19P Top speed - 42.0 solo - 42.0 two guys

Hole shot is greatly improved with the Spitfire X7, mid range acceleration improved, bite in corners was better. Slightly lower top speed than what I saw with the Laser II, this spring loaded light and running solo I saw 47.6 mph but once summer rolls around and bass season opens up I generally run at least two people and a full load of tackle and the hole shot improvement was remarkable.