Question steady cast only calibrating to 65

i installed my steady cast in storage compartment right in front of console also installed a fuse panel at same location took to water today best i could get it to calibrate was 65 should i get better than that haven't checked with compass but nothing there except electrical, what should i do , move it to new location and try

2. Member
    I have been having the same issues. I had mine calibrated at 90 something, lost power, and had to re-calibrate. Now I can only get 75, and I am loosing compass every time I run. Boat goes sideways down the lake.

3. Member
    Similar issues here. I have now mounted and moved my Steady Cast for the third time...all previous/current locations checked with a compass. The highest calibration I've got thus far is a 65. I've tried calibrating with the big motor and the trolling motor. My next attempt will be on the trailer with someone pulling my in circles with the truck. Also, assuming due to the 65 calibration, I get a prompt to calibrate Steady Cast every time I power on my units. However, even with the 65 calibration my Steady Cast appears to be working correctly. I've yet to see my heading on the screen appear different than actual.

If 65 is the best I can get is there a way to disable the notifications to calibrate at startup?
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

4. Member
    The steady cast is a magnetic compass type device, so it is sensitive to magnetic fields - just like any other compass. That means it reacts just like a regular compass and must be mounted away from any magnetic source - like almost anything electrical. Any time you have current flowing through a wire you get a magnetic field - MFD's, trolling motors, live well pumps, starters, running lights, etc etc etc. It will be worse if the wires are coiled. The higher load items will produce stronger magnetic fields - like trolling motors or starting batteries or live wells, etc.

Also, things like tool boxes, or any common steel items, magnetized screw drivers, a non-stainless screw, etc etc.

Try a different location away from anything like that.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

5. Member
    i talked to garmin today they told me that 70 was a good reading may not get better i moved mine today had it mounted close to fuse panel hope that helps i will check it out tomorrow i did mark a location with it on 65 went back to spot real close

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    i talked to garmin today they told me that 70 was a good reading may not get better i moved mine today had it mounted close to fuse panel hope that helps i will check it out tomorrow i did mark a location with it on 65 went back to spot real close
    The Steady Cast is just a heading sensor...not a GPS.
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

7. Member
    took mine back to water relocated sensor, it would only cal. 45 moved back to location of last week which cal. 65 it would only cal. 19 figure this out. sent it back

8. Member
    I had this same issue when software version 2.10 came out. The boat icon on my Echomap would be skewed sideways when I was going straight. I went back to version 2.0 and the problem went away. Version 2.20 came out several months ago and I started having the same problem so I've now went back to version 2.0 again. I don't know what the issue is but I'm convinced it's the software.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

9. Member
    thanks i will try that if the new one doesn't work

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    I had this same issue when software version 2.10 came out. The boat icon on my Echomap would be skewed sideways when I was going straight. I went back to version 2.0 and the problem went away. Version 2.20 came out several months ago and I started having the same problem so I've now went back to version 2.0 again. I don't know what the issue is but I'm convinced it's the software.
    How do you roll back the Steady Cast software without also rolling back everything else - MFD, Panoptix, etc? I used to save old software up-date files, but I deleted anything older than 2018.

I suppose you could do a forced up-date to go back to an old version for the entire system, then un-plug the Steady Cast and then re-install the latest software on everything else? Is there an easier way?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    How do you roll back the Steady Cast software without also rolling back everything else - MFD, Panoptix, etc? I used to save old software up-date files, but I deleted anything older than 2018.

I suppose you could do a forced up-date to go back to an old version for the entire system, then un-plug the Steady Cast and then re-install the latest software on everything else? Is there an easier way?
    PM me with your email address and I'll send you the software.

You just put the update on the card (make sure you don't have any other updates on the SD card other than Steadycast) and put it in your MFD and it will ask you if you want to update. Select yes and it will update just the Steadycast.
    Last edited by Pipercub; 05-21-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    PM me with your email address and I'll send you the software.

You just put the update on the card (make sure you don't have any other updates on the SD card other than Steadycast) and put it in your MFD and it will ask you if you want to update. Select yes and it will update just the Steadycast.
    Thanks, but Im more interested in how/where you got the software from? I dont see any way to get specific, individual unit/accessory software anywhere on the Garmin site?