Replacement Hook Size - Berkley Dredger

Picked up a few of these to try out stemming from a thread I made last year about ripping crankbaits through vegetation after someone suggested that these did the job extremely well. I'm happy to say that I was able to confirm that, so thank you to whoever made that suggestion! What awesome little baits these are, and it's timely as I've just about had it with Rapala DTs - my latest adventure with them is pulling one brand new out of the pack with the bill warped so bad it looks like someone held a lighter on it.

Back on topic with the Dredger: The only problem I've run into is that the stock hooks on them, while plenty sharp, are TINY. On the 8.5 size they look to be size 6, and they may be size 6 in Berkley Fusion which are smaller than other brands for a given size. Even though it's a small bait, these itty bitty hooks simply will not fly. The 10.5 size which is the only other size I've picked up to this point isn't much better. Looking at the lineup on the shelf, their hooks appear to be way undersized across the board.

I'm tempted to stick a size 2 KVD Triple Grip on the front and 4 on the back but don't want to screw up the action. Maybe size 4s on the front and back would be a better idea. What size and model hooks have you guys put on them with success?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

2. Member
    I put #4 kvd short shank on both, sometimes a #6 short shank on the front. I have no fear of small hooks though.

3. Member
    I love deep crankin at Gville and Chickamauga and you are correct, these are nice little baits. They catch em just as well as the 10xd for me so far this year and much easier to chunk and wind. I like the 6th sense one when I need bigger profile,but iv caught as many good ones on the dredger as any of them. I use KVD #2's , but the stock hook are definitely better than most other cranks. This is my first year throwing the dredger and its juts no getting good, so ill update later with some further time on the water. Hopefully I can get on a few schools and throw several cranks out and compare.

Good advice and insight above. I agree that the stock hooks are better than a lot of others out there, it’s just the size of them that I can’t deal with. I suppose that puts me in the camp of those who have a fear of small hooks!

Anyone else with experience please chime in, and I will be sure to report back once I do some experimenting. Thanks gents!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I can’t say I do a lot of “deep” cranking but I do have 4 Dredgers and they’ve all caught fish for me! The hooks are small but I’ve never lost a fish on one so I have left them alone. I rarely leave stock hooks on after testing the lures out for a while but these have worked so well I haven’t seen the need for change.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    I throw the dredgers and the diggers ---never changed out their stock hooks and never been an issue. Those fusion trebles are great hooks.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Finally got around to messing around with some hooks. I'll say again that I agree that the Fusion trebles are really good - so much so that I actually saved the hooks instead of tossing them like I normally do when changing out stock hooks - I just think the size they've put on these baits is too small.

My switching around sort of confirmed my initial impressions on the 8.5 Dredger. The stock hooks are noticeably smaller than a KVD size 6. I went ahead with a size 4 on the front and a size 6 on the back, but may scale it back to size 6 on both hangers. I only got to fish it briefly since switching it out and though it still ran well, I was picking up more vegetation than I'd like. I think a size 6 on both hangers will work well as those baits are small to run as deep as they do.

I found that the 10.5 bait has hooks that are not as undersized, a little contrary to my quick glance at the baits when putting them in my box after buying them. I stuck a size 4 on the front hanger and left the rear hook as-is on those and I think it's going to be perfect.

The couple Diggers that I have seem to have more appropriately sized hooks in my mind, not sure why that would be the case but who knows at this point. From the above responses, it's pretty clear that not everyone agrees on the right hook size for a given bait!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"