Thread: I'm lost

I'm lost

Got out yesterday and ran around on a small lake. High water had my options limited do to all the no wake lakes. 2012 Triton SE with 200 ProXs. Adjustable jackplate all runs were just me 250lbs, 1/2 tank gas, nothing in the wells and normal amount of gear. Running a 24P tempest plus that is at least a year old with no noticeable damage. Water pressure was well over 20PSI on all runs. Used vessel view for all numbers and trimmed all the way up. On tournament days I have a partner and usually don't run more than 1/2 tank of gas. I feel like I can get more out of it but I don't know where to go. Please help, thanks.

4" PTP 62.5mph 5560rpm
    3.75" PTP 63.5mph 5610rpm
    3.5" PTP 62.5mph 5660rpm
    3" PTP 60.5mph 5620rpm

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I don’t know your max rpm, but you’re probably looking at a new prop. I’d post this in the Triton section and see what others with your boat/hp run for a prop first. Then, if your prop is in the range of the popular ones used, send it to Mark Croxton. He will make your prop do whatever you need it to!

good luck
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    My guess is your PTP measurements are flawed......They appear to be backwards.....faster speeds should be the lower smaller measurement.

4. Member
    I’ve double checked my numbers and remeasured and my numbers are correct. That is why I’m so lost. I have an atlas plate along with the gauge. I look at the tape measure on the jackplate, run down the lake and remeasure PTP.

Read every thing and all the links Mark has provided in (FAQ about props, at the top of this forum) Provide all the baseline info regarding your rig and we will help you analyze it for proper setup. Something is off based on the limited info you provided
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    I thought I had everything listed. Holeshot is ok, no blow out after breakover takes roughly 4-5 seconds. I need to be trimmed out to achieve lift. When I'm trimmed out and I bump it down I instantly lose speed. Rooster tail is at or 1-2' above cowling. When I went to 3" PTP I had a very high rooster tail. I have no chine walk and the steering isn't stiff at all.
    Last edited by Lunkerhunter3; 05-16-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Has it ever been better than it is now?
    Have you verified it is achieving full throttle?
    How long since Plugs, filters etc
    What fuel, oil and additives are being used?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Yes it has been better but not by much. It is hard to compare numbers other than speed since I just got the vessel view last month. It is getting full throttle. Plugs, filters, belt, thermostats, poppet valve, strainer cleaned, gear lube change, and water pump were replaced in last month. Oil has always been either mercury or quicksilver DFI. Gas is 35 gallons of premium ethanol free with Don's cocktail fresh a few weeks ago mixed with about 10 gallons of last years gas from October also with Don's cocktail plus quickstor.

9. Member
    The tape measure on the jackplate doesn't equate to the actual PTP setting.

Measure PTP on a flat level surface.
    Adjust the jackplate till you have a 3" PTP setting by measuring using the attached diagram.
    Once you have the 3"PTP setting, see what the corresponding number is on the jackplate gauge. Mark the gauge with a piece of tape or marker.
    3" PTP is now your baseline setting. Adjust your jackplate accordingly to get the best performace. Record or mark the optimum corresponding number on the gauge now.

Last edited by Savage; 05-16-2019 at 06:41 PM.

10. Member
    How the motor is installed on the jackplate. The 4" mark on the tape measure is 4" PTP on mine. When I was test running I would raise it to say 4.5" on the tape, it makes my PTP 3.5", correct?

11. Member
    If it measures 4" at the #4 then going up to 4.5 should be 3.5" under. The even number Tempest props usually need some work to make them run right so I'd send it to Mark and let him put it to factory spec and you should pick up some speed. You don't need premium gas in that motor 87 octane is what it should run and that will effect how it runs.

12. Member
    are you waiting to trim up ? like wide open wait till speed doesnt climb trim up.. repeat.
    or are you mashing throttle and trim?
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    If it measures 4" at the #4 then going up to 4.5 should be 3.5" under. The even number Tempest props usually need some work to make them run right so I'd send it to Mark and let him put it to factory spec and you should pick up some speed. You don't need premium gas in that motor 87 octane is what it should run and that will effect how it runs.
    Exactly......Data is backwards.

14. Member
    Post #10 is saying the same thing that mdtritn21 is. This is how I did things. I know that a 4" PTP is equal to 4" on my atlas tape measure. I would adjust the jackplate to say 5" on the atlas make a run down the lake and save the moment from vessel view. The save the moment records top speed and highest RPM. Using my baseline 4" PTP I know that I went up on the jackplate 1" which actually lowers the PTP to 3". This is how I got all my numbers in my original post. I don't know how I can explain it any differently. If this isn't right tell me how to correct it.