Thread: My Jigs

My Jigs

Over the last year, I have been building my own bass jigs. Here are a few samples. I have been playing with different heads and weights. I am selling locally to support a youth ministry in our church. It has been much fun. Thank you for all of the ideas.

Tabasco Craw.JPGTR Dock Craw.JPGTiger Black Blue.JPG

2. Member
    Those should catch em'. Nice job
    Y'all be careful out there and don't catch'em all!

3. Member
    Nice job. Those will definitely catch fish.

4. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Very nice job. I make all my own jigs and I see quality in yours.

5. Member
    NICE!!!! The first one is my favorite, very good craw imitator!!!

6. Member
    VERY nice, I'm with Smalljaw67 that first one looks killer! They all look good though. I also like the last one a bunch too, I like how the skirt is trimmed, sort of a long finesse cut.

7. Rich Purington
    I like the spotted tabasco skirt as well. Great with some GP and Watermelon Magic.
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

8. Member
    Start using rubber to tie them , makes the skirt a lot bulkier and much better than silicone or anything I could find on the internet. I rarely use silicon anymore because the rubber looks so much better and results seem better as well. One trick though, go about an 1/8 higher in weight than the norm because the fall rate is slower depending on how much rubber you use. Flipping is the only time I use silicone anymore. Its fin to catch fosh on something you have made for sure, but try the rubber and you wont turn back. Lure parts online is where I get mine. They have the molds, hooks, everything you need to make your on from scratch. I'm not sure if you poured those heads or not, probably not due to the unique line tie position, but if you start from scratch you can build a jig head for about 1.20$ with a high end hook. I figured out the other day, adding in the skirt, I have about 1.50-1.75$ in each jig and could easily sell for 6-7$, but id rather just keep them for me and a few buddies. I couldn't make enough to quit my day job!! LOL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix5252 View Post
    Start using rubber to tie them , makes the skirt a lot bulkier and much better than silicone or anything I could find on the internet. I rarely use silicon anymore because the rubber looks so much better and results seem better as well. One trick though, go about an 1/8 higher in weight than the norm because the fall rate is slower depending on how much rubber you use. Flipping is the only time I use silicone anymore. Its fin to catch fosh on something you have made for sure, but try the rubber and you wont turn back. Lure parts online is where I get mine. They have the molds, hooks, everything you need to make your on from scratch. I'm not sure if you poured those heads or not, probably not due to the unique line tie position, but if you start from scratch you can build a jig head for about 1.20$ with a high end hook. I figured out the other day, adding in the skirt, I have about 1.50-1.75$ in each jig and could easily sell for 6-7$, but id rather just keep them for me and a few buddies. I couldn't make enough to quit my day job!! LOL
    Rubber isn't always better and there are a lot of different types of rubber. You have living rubber which has 3 grades, fine medium and heavy, this is round material. Then you have flat line rubber which comes in tabs like silicone and it has a slightly faster separation rate than silicone. Then there is the old school square rubber, this moves more water than silicone as it is a little bulkier but it does have a little more action. Rubber has good properties but it has downsides as well, like leave a jig in a box for 4 or 5 weeks and it will stick together and actually kink and there is no fix, when this happens the skirt needs replaced. When it comes to fishing, there are a lot of times I choose silicone over rubber, one of those times is when the water is cold, water temps in the low 50s and less will cause rubber to become stiff and it will actually have less action than silicone. Rubber is great for reaction strikes but when it comes to having to fish that jig slow, especially in clear water, silicone is king. The slower action doesn't ward of neutral fish and the colors can be configured to break up the outline of the jig making it appear more natural. I agree, rubber is good but to make a blanket statement saying rubber is the end all material is just not correct. Rubber, like silicone has a time and place, I have used, and continue to use, both silicone and rubber and there are days when one will flat out catch fish and the other will haul water. I've also had days when both rubber and silicone will catch fish, a lot is trial and error but in my experience cold water and really warm water with some clarity are times that favor silicone.