Thread: Kentucky Lake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kentucky Lake

Fishing on Ky. Lake is so bad even the liars aren't catching anything.

2. Member
    What are you considering bad?

Had 7 or 8 short fish all day, I’ve have worse but can’t remember when

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Esnow76 View Post
    Had 7 or 8 short fish all day, I’ve have worse but can’t remember when
    It's definitely fishing small compared to previous years.
    Got several shorts on a shad pattern square bill back in some bays.
    Ended up with 1 smallie that was around 2lbs and a 3lb lmb near devils elbow ,both on sencos.

5. Member
    Had one keeper about 12 shorts all day on jigs Not got a clue

6. Member
    Fished the canal and canal campground area yesterday morning, caught 1 4lb largemouth and 1 short. We caught one keeper smallmouth and 2 short in a couple hours fishing. We spent the rest of the morning bluegill fishing.

7. Member
    I've been seeing decent numbers but not size. Wouldn't be contending in any tournaments but had some fun afternoons catching several fish.

8. Member
    We were down at Leatherwood Thursday-Saturday. Weather was a little too nice for fishing. Sunshine and low winds. Water temps were 69-70 in the morning on Thursday climbing up to 71-72 in the morning by Saturday. Afternoon temps hit 75-77. First time over to KY Lake in about a year and a half and it seems pretty awful. Huge numbers of carp in the creek channels and we weren't able to find a significant amount of shad anywhere. I would think water temps should have the shad active when the sun comes up but there was little to no activity in the mornings from Leatherwood south to Danville. Very few birds in the area compared to the past. Makes me sad. Found a few small ones on secondary points but had to finesse 'em. Picked up a random fish here and there junk fishing. Probably will be looking for other waters to fish when we get a chance to get the boat out. Catfishing seemed pretty good for those fishermen. Hope they can find a way to keep the rest of the TVA chain protected.

9. Member
    I fished several days last week , it was tough and I did not see any shad shallow or on my lowrance units , mainly stayed north of 68 , anyone else find any shad anywhere?
    2017 NITRO Z21
    250 MERCURY PRO XS
    POWER POLE BLADES
    LOWRANCE ELECTRONICS
    PRECISION SONAR MOUNTS

10. Member
    I fished Friday-Sunday on the south in the New Johnsonville area, roughly Birdsong to Harmon Creeks. Fished shallow Friday and Sunday, deep on Saturday. Caught 13 fish total in good conditions. The lake was at summer pool, current was running decent, the bushes, water willows, and lily pads plus laydowns all had 3' of water or more on them as did the stakebeds and islands. Had 1 keeper each day, but did lose a 5 lber at the net. Our club of guys who fish the lake 60 days or more a year had a terrible tourney Sunday with 5-14(2 fish winning). I threw chatterbaits,spinnerbaits, plastics, squarebills, and topwaters shallow, and shaky heads, football jig, and 10" worm deep on the river. I scanned some and did not find any schools to speak of. Conditions were good, especially Sunday for a moving bait bite, but the fish weren't there IMO. I did not see hardly any minnows or shad, and no fry-guarders like I should have. Did see a lot of carp, including one which jumped in boat and slimed up my seat, lifejacket, and floor. Ive been fishing the lake regularly for 40 years and have usually been able to catch them decent, but the last 2 years have kicked my butt. Most guys I talk to say the same thing. Very disappointing, I am going to switch lakes for a few years and return if the fishing improves. Even the local sticks that fish the BFL's and Costa's are struggling, Saturdays BFL had 87 boats woth pro's and co's and had 8 limits with the biggest about 18 lbs. I love Kentucky-Barkley but cant justify the time or money right now to travel there from Missouri. Good luck to all that stick with it.

11. Member
    Man, it looks like a bad time for me to start fishing this lake.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WCM-Fish View Post
    I feel for ya.... but yes. You missed the prime. Hopefully the lake will rebound in a few years and return to it's glory. All lakes go in cycles. Mother Nature has a way of balancing things out.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

13. Member
    This is true. Same thing happened on MS River Oxbows where I'm from. Still looking forward to new water.

14. Member
    This is true. Same thing happened on MS River Oxbows where I'm from. Still looking forward to new water.
    Although I haven't been there this year when I typically would've been a few times by now, when I do go down there, I still enjoy it more than any other lake. Something about those big lakes that provides amazing scenery and the mystery at every stop if it will be the "stop" that they are biting every cast. Maybe it's just holding onto days gone by but I can't help but remain positive when I'm on the water down there. It will forever be a special place for me.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

15. Member
    I fished Friday and Saturday and did pretty good for me. Had 3 keepers Friday, one a 5 lber and about 12 short fish. Saturday we had 4 keepers, 2 at 3.5 lbs and 2 keepers and another 10 short fish. All shallow. And I'm no pro fisherman either, usually don't do very good since I live 2.5 hours away and don't get to fish it much. The Wildcat tourney had 25 boats 5 limits, 14 boats caught fish and 18 lbs won.

16. Member
    Any fish showing up on the ledges yet?

A buddy of mine wants me to take him out and show him how to ledge fish next weekend ( June 1st and 2nd) I'm hoping they will have already moved out to at least the mouth of the bays by then.

17. Member
    Might be a good time to start. Expectations shouldn't be that high so not as disappointed as us that have fished it for years. I will say it really kicked my butt last year. But this year is somewhat better. Have limited a couple tournaments with my best being 19.5. But the thing I have noticed this year is I am catching a lot more small fish. 12 to 14 inch. Last year it seemed they where nonexistent.
    Last edited by rockangler; 05-23-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy3 View Post
    Any fish showing up on the ledges yet?

A buddy of mine wants me to take him out and show him how to ledge fish next weekend ( June 1st and 2nd) I'm hoping they will have already moved out to at least the mouth of the bays by then.

They should really be moving out this week and next with the hot weather we are having. I would think next weekend would be a really good time to try the ledges. As mentioned though do get your hopes up, because the fishing just isn't what it used to be.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    They should really be moving out this week and next with the hot weather we are having. I would think next weekend would be a really good time to try the ledges. As mentioned though do get your hopes up, because the fishing just isn't what it used to be.
    Headed there this weekend. Hope to just not ZERO and catch a few, even if i have to junk fish.

20. Member
    They should really be moving out this week and next with the hot weather we are having. I would think next weekend would be a really good time to try the ledges. As mentioned though do get your hopes up, because the fishing just isn't what it used to be
    I know it's been bad the past few years. I was down there the first week of April and we cought maybe 18 bass all week. 6 of them were over 5 lbs and the rest were 12-14 inches.

I go down for a week and a half in June every year and we usually find a few decent schools but nothing like it used to be for sure. Last year my youngest boy and I were able to put together a nice bag that would've went about 26-27 lbs but we only cought about 8 fish that day.

All the smaller fish I cought last year had small asian carp down their gullet. That may end up being the new primary forage in that lake instead of shad. Just food for thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast