Thread: Kentucky Lake

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    We just came back from a 10 day trip to the northern end of the lake, narrowly missing the big storm that hit yesterday. We fished mainly from Sugar to Pisgah and Big Bear to Little Bear.

The first 3 mornings we looked for ledge fish but was predominantly unsuccessful only getting 2 small fish at the mouth of Little Bear and a 3 1/2 pounder off the island in front of Moors. Our afternoons were mildly successful fushing the backs of bays with flukes and wacky rigs catching many 12-16 inch fish each evening.

Following the first 3 unsuccessful morning attempts at the ledges we opted to change pace and look for another pattern. What we found was not great for KY Lake but pretty good for what it has become. First thing in the mornings we were hitting rip rap wind blown points with shakey heads and white spinnerbaits. After the early morning bite was done we put down the finess gear and picked up our heavy flipping gear with 3/8 oz jigs and looked for blowdowns in the wind eddies close to the mouth of the bays and deeper water. We would then look for the small skipjack fingerlings to be feeding on the small fryin and around the blow down. If those criterias were met then there was a school of bass deep under the cover. The bigger bass (3-4lbs) were very skinny but the 13-16 inch bass were fat and over gorged on carp fry.

The remaining 6 mornings of fishing yielded about 26 keepers most between 2 3/4 and 3 1/4lbs with the largest only being a skinny 4 1/4 pounder. On average we cought about 20 fish each morning most being short but at least it was what I'd call decent fishing.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy3 View Post
    We just came back from a 10 day trip to the northern end of the lake, narrowly missing the big storm that hit yesterday. We fished mainly from Sugar to Pisgah and Big Bear to Little Bear.

The first 3 mornings we looked for ledge fish but was predominantly unsuccessful only getting 2 small fish at the mouth of Little Bear and a 3 1/2 pounder off the island in front of Moors. Our afternoons were mildly successful fushing the backs of bays with flukes and wacky rigs catching many 12-16 inch fish each evening.

Following the first 3 unsuccessful morning attempts at the ledges we opted to change pace and look for another pattern. What we found was not great for KY Lake but pretty good for what it has become. First thing in the mornings we were hitting rip rap wind blown points with shakey heads and white spinnerbaits. After the early morning bite was done we put down the finess gear and picked up our heavy flipping gear with 3/8 oz jigs and looked for blowdowns in the wind eddies close to the mouth of the bays and deeper water. We would then look for the small skipjack fingerlings to be feeding on the small fryin and around the blow down. If those criterias were met then there was a school of bass deep under the cover. The bigger bass (3-4lbs) were very skinny but the 13-16 inch bass were fat and over gorged on carp fry.

The remaining 6 mornings of fishing yielded about 26 keepers most between 2 3/4 and 3 1/4lbs with the largest only being a skinny 4 1/4 pounder. On average we cought about 20 fish each morning most being short but at least it was what I'd call decent fishing.
    Best report I've heard in a while.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Best report I've heard in a while.
    Thanks for the compliment. I hope it'll help someone looking for a place to start.

To be honest I was happier to see the healthy 14" bass then I was to catch the 4 pounder. It was comforting to know that that generation of bass are healthy and have utilized the carp as a food source. That could be a good thing for the future of the fishery.

I still remain optimistic on the future of the lake as I feel that nature will find a way to balance things out. The mortality rates of tournament fishing, the amount of tournaments held on the lake, TVA messing with the water levels durring the spawn, the ease of "average Joe's" to find the once "protected" bass on the ledges and the primary food source being eradicated by the introduction of the carp I feel have all played a role in the poor fishing and low numbers right now. I think the decrease in tournaments that have taken place will definitely help to improve the numbers and assists in bringing the lake back. At least I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes that it does.

What decrease in tournaments are you talking about? Am I missing something? Seems to be as many if not more. I will say the number of participants in some are down.

5. Member
    It could be just a decrease in tournament participation that I've noticed. I have read in various places (some reputable and some not) that a lot of tournaments have been canceled and other major tournaments were just never scheduled due to the poor fishing.

6. Member
    Im in the ky lake alot and i see alot of tournaments. Been busy on the lake this year in that way.

7. Member
    Then I suppose that I'm wrong in that regard and I retract my comment about that.

I've only been there 3 times this year. Once in early march for a week once in early april for a week and again for 10 days in june. This June I saw relatively little pressure on the lake and only 2 wrapped boats. April was the Costa event, even then I rarely saw any wrapped boats and in March I felt like the only one on the lake. I guess my timing has been good in that regard.
    Last edited by Jimmy3; 06-26-2019 at 02:22 AM.

Then I suppose that I'm wrong in that regard and I retract my comment about that.

I've only been there 3 times this year. Once in early march spring for a week once in early april for a week and again for 10 days in june. This June I saw relatively little pressure on the lake and only 2 wrapped boats. April was the Costa event, even then I rarely saw any wrapped boats and in March I felt like the only one on the lake. I guess my timing has been good in that regard.
    You aren’t completely wrong though. There has been a significant decrease in tournament participation this year. Which is pretty much the same as less tournaments
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

9. Member
    I've been looking for an open tournament the past few weeks and not seen any online.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
    You aren’t completely wrong though. There has been a significant decrease in tournament participation this year. Which is pretty much the same as less tournaments
    Exactly, the Jet a Marina usually has any where from 275 to 325 boats, this year 166. The BFL usually has 130 to 150, this year in the low eighties, last one was 66 boats. My fishing buddy said he was fishing back a little earlier and only saw three boats all day long. The good nes is both lakes are loaded with fresh fry!!!

11. Member
    I noticed all the fry, they were everywhere. I cought some with my minnow net that were hanging out beside my boat ,I couldn't make out what kind of fry they were. I think they weren't carp because of the body shape but I have no clue what they were. The only thing I could tell you was the little 2 1/2" long skipjack were having a field day with them.

12. Member
    Heading to KY Lake this weekend for the 1st time with my 15 y/o son. We are staying at Cypress Springs. Any recommendations on where to start and what to present? Hoping he can improve his PB.

13. Member
    I know it's been bad the past few years. I was down there the first week of April and we cought maybe 18 bass all week. 6 of them were over 5 lbs and the rest were 12-14 inches.

I go down for a week and a half in June every year and we usually find a few decent schools but nothing like it used to be for sure. Last year my youngest boy and I were able to put together a nice bag that would've went about 26-27 lbs but we only cought about 8 fish that day.

All the smaller fish I cought last year had small asian carp down their gullet. That may end up being the new primary forage in that lake instead of shad. Just food for thought.
    I agree. The bass could be relating to the carp which would make traditional patterns less fruitful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123