Thread: Kentucky Lake

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    lots and lots of boats out there. bad fishing sure isn't stopping tournaments. parking lot seem over crowded when I'm there. carp problem is here to stay with the chinese market buying and investing money on ky lake. carp are usually in every bay you pull into.

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have given up, sold my waterfront campsite and on to New water. It may not be better but I doubt it will be worse.
    Last edited by Roddy; 06-02-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    lots and lots of boats out there. bad fishing sure isn't stopping tournaments. parking lot seem over crowded when I'm there. carp problem is here to stay with the chinese market buying and investing money on ky lake. carp are usually in every bay you pull into.
    I was the only boat at Kenlake at 5:00 a.m. Yesterday. Best fish was a 21.5” smallmouth off a main lake flat. Only managed 4 keepers, but lost a nice fish. Caught 10 14” largemouth on a squarebill in Little Jonathan. Never found any schools on the ledges even though others have been.

4. Member
    I was there at 6 yesterday at ken lake. Winds and weather have been bad this week. All my fish have been on ledges since may 20th. Tournament guys like Triton owners and small flw event from dam were on same spots, had to share water. Triton owners were there all week, weather permitting.

5. Member
    I have been coming here for 30 yrs. It is a sad reminder of what used to be so good. Ky lake is gone folks. Yes, there will always be some good bags.... the days of graphing mega schools and getting them fired up are a distant memory. I was looking to move here after I retired.... We are now looking elsewhere.

6. Member
    2 small fish all day, few fish on sonar....and strange fewer carp.....

7. Member
    First time on KY Lake ever. Came here to ledge fish. Spent all day trying to find em at the mouth of creeks from Blood River to Sugar Bay. Didn’t find a damn thing. Any advice (other than “just go home”)?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by got eem View Post
    First time on KY Lake ever. Came here to ledge fish. Spent all day trying to find em at the mouth of creeks from Blood River to Sugar Bay. Didn’t find a damn thing. Any advice (other than “just go home”)?
    Think outside the box. I don't even know what that box is or where it can be found, but think outside of it. Because traditional tactics are no longer the ticket.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by got eem View Post
    Sent you a PM
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

if you are in trouble go to shallow wood and work your way out. stake beds any laydown or brush close to the lead in channel banks in the bays. throw a 4 inch plastic creature.
    Ranger Forever

11. Member
    Our Missouri bass club fished Ky/Barkley Saturday. 14 lbs won, I was second with 13. I fished Barkley from Devils Elbow to Crockett Creek. Cloudy, rainy, breezy which was good for shallow bite on bladed jig, swim jig, brush hawg. I fished all the islands with willow weeds and wood. There was some current being pulled which probably helped some. First trip this year where ive caught some numbers of small fish. The guy who won fished ledges at creek mouths with plastics and a football jig. I did see carp at every stop whether shallow or deep.

Just got back from Ky Lake. Fished for 6 days and caught 3 fish all week. Our tourney ran from Wed-Fri and we had one limit weighed in all week and it weighed a little over 6 lbs...PATHETIC!! Didn't see as many carp as I thought I would. We fished Barkley last year and they were thick as thieves over there. We tried everything, deep, shallow and in between. I have always wanted to fish this lake....guess I waited too long. You couldn't pay me to come back. I'm sure over time it will come back, but that won't be in my lifetime. The guy who won had a little over 20 lbs for 3 days.
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

13. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Retafsp View Post
    Just got back from Ky Lake. Fished for 6 days and caught 3 fish all week. Our tourney ran from Wed-Fri and we had one limit weighed in all week and it weighed a little over 6 lbs...PATHETIC!! Didn't see as many carp as I thought I would. We fished Barkley last year and they were thick as thieves over there. We tried everything, deep, shallow and in between. I have always wanted to fish this lake....guess I waited too long. You couldn't pay me to come back. I'm sure over time it will come back, but that won't be in my lifetime. The guy who won had a little over 20 lbs for 3 days.
    Sad, My memories on facebook came up for today tis morning. In the picture I was holding part of a 24lb limit from two years ago. How they are gone so fast is what puzzles me. From two years ago to last year was dramatic!
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Sad, My memories on facebook came up for today tis morning. In the picture I was holding part of a 24lb limit from two years ago. How they are gone so fast is what puzzles me. From two years ago to last year was dramatic!
    What gets me Scott is these folks who say the fish are still there like they use to be, you just have to change the way you fish o catch them those same people go out and catch one, two fish plus zero in tournaments all spring and early summer

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    What gets me Scott is these folks who say the fish are still there like they use to be, you just have to change the way you fish o catch them those same people go out and catch one, two fish plus zero in tournaments all spring and early summer
    it seems to me that if the fish were still there youd see em show up when they come shallow in the spring. Youll still see some good bags but nothing like years past. I can understand that if they were still there you might not see the mega schools on the ledges because of the carp moving the shad and maybe even breaking up the schools. If the population was the same, you should be able to catch tons of keepers shallow in april and thats just not the case anymore
    They aint got hands, set the hook

16. Member
    Many many factors other than the carp

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    Many many factors other than the carp
    Oh I agree lots of factors, bad spawns, and tournament mortality being two of the others. Just amazed how fast my fortune changed.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    it seems to me that if the fish were still there youd see em show up when they come shallow in the spring. Youll still see some good bags but nothing like years past. I can understand that if they were still there you might not see the mega schools on the ledges because of the carp moving the shad and maybe even breaking up the schools. If the population was the same, you should be able to catch tons of keepers shallow in april and thats just not the case anymore
    Exactly what I try to tell people. There's still fish but nothing like years past.

It will all cycle (fingers crossed), I just hope sooner than later...
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I have given up, sold my waterfront campsite and on to New water. It may not be better but I doubt it will be worse.
    I have quit fishing the big lakes all together because of those carp. I now keep my boat stored at a nice chain of lakes in northern MN. Spend about 3 weeks a year up there where the fishing for smallmouth is out of this world. Two weeks in the spring and one week in the fall. When I fish around here these days I just take my little pond hopper to some local watersheds.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slopfishin View Post
    I have quit fishing the big lakes all together because of those carp. I now keep my boat stored at a nice chain of lakes in northern MN. Spend about 3 weeks a year up there where the fishing for smallmouth is out of this world. Two weeks in the spring and one week in the fall. When I fish around here these days I just take my little pond hopper to some local watersheds.
    This is what we do now but in Wisconsin. The past couple years have averaged 3-4 weeks a year chasing smallmouth up north and even on a bad day up there it’s still 10 times better than a good day on kentucky lake now. I’ve grown up on Kentucky and Im thankful that I got to see it when it was a top 5 lake in the country but now I just save my time for more fishing up north.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast