Garmin GT34UHD-TM oder GT54UHD-TM

Hello
    I'm new here in the forum and had a question. I am looking for my new GPSMAP® 8412xsv with Panoptix LVS32 a new side scan encoder. I mainly fish at a lake between 5 and 30 feet deep. Can not decide between the 2 What would you do. Have an Airmar TM150 Chirp encoder I could then use with the GT34UHD for 2 D use.
    Thank you
    Andreas

Based on my experience, both are good transducers, but the GT34 provides better SideVu clarity when compared to the GT54.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    thank you for your quick help.
    Andreas

4. Member
    Hello
    can anyone here recommend me an 8 pin encoder I use in 25 to 60 feet deep water (in combination with the UHD 34 or 54 encoder)? or is that not possible with a 8412?
    Andreas

5. Member
    It is very doable as the 34 and 54 are 12 pin transducers. The GT8 is 8 pin and will serve you very well.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Based on my experience, both are good transducers, but the GT34 provides better SideVu clarity when compared to the GT54.
    Can you provide any screen shots to compare these findings?
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

7. Member
    I just got through going thur this deal with the Gt34 and GT54 - The 54 is hands down the better of the two on sidevu. It runs off 1180 khz and 455 khz so it'll work in both shallow and deeper water. The 34 will blank out on you if you get much deeper that 20-25 feet is my experience due to being limited to 1200 khz only. I'm still not sure why Garmin would even offer this transducer. I personally can't tell the difference in the sidevu between the 34 and 54 in shallow water - once you go deeper, the 34 will blank out..

- this comes right off their website regarding the Gt34

"125' to each side Ultra High-Definition SideVü, 250' total, at a maximum depth of 30'"

I disliked my Gt34 setup on my 7612 so much that I almost switched to Lowrance. Once I tried the 54 on my 8616xsv, it was a different world for me...
    Last edited by falconpilot; 06-30-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

8. Member
    Yeah something seems odd. I cant believe garmin would even release a transducer thats only good to 30’

9. Member
    I did confirm that is what the website says.

I should have been more specific in my comment above. Note that the OP is fishing a lake with a maximum depth of 30 feet. Yes, the GT34 UHD (1200 kHz) SideVu does fade out at depths greater than 30-35 feet. But, at shallower depths, the GT34 is a better SideVu performer when directly compared to the UHD SideVu frequency of the GT54. If you need SideVu performance at depths greater than 35 feet, then no the GT34 is not the appropriate transducer.
    Garmin Pro Team

11. Member
    That puts me right at the edge since 30-35 is about my maximum. I guess if i just go with the 54 I will never know theres a difference. (Not having seen the 34)

12. Member
    The GT54 is a great transducer. If the water clarity is good, I have no issues using its 1180kHz freq out to 50-60fow. I would post some screenshots I got yesterday, but It keeps saying they're too big.
    The 455 is very clear too, and has some great range.
    Yesterday I played with the downvu a little as well. Was really surprised to see the bottom at 200'. I'm supposed to go out for a bit today. Maybe will get some more ss.
    Never used a 34, but it's tough to beat the versatility built into the GT54.

13. Member
    Pretty happy with my 54 as well

14. Member
    30-35 ft just isn’t enough.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    The GT54 is a great transducer. If the water clarity is good, I have no issues using its 1180kHz freq out to 50-60fow. I would post some screenshots I got yesterday, but It keeps saying they're too big.
    The 455 is very clear too, and has some great range.
    Yesterday I played with the downvu a little as well. Was really surprised to see the bottom at 200'. I'm supposed to go out for a bit today. Maybe will get some more ss.
    Never used a 34, but it's tough to beat the versatility built into the GT54.
    Garmin marketting has missed the mark for a while on how to capitalize on free promotions from users by making screenshots easy to make and use. You can load the shot into Paint and resize it. Some units store them in png format but jpg files show up better on this board. The other alternative is to store them on a hosting site and link them. Sometimes I just dump them to my google share drive and post a link to them. You can do that with Dropbox too. Both offer some free storage.

You are right that the GT54 is a versatile transducer, but Garmin has lots of combo transducers that are versatile. Huge selection. It's the UHD frequency on the SideVu that seemed weak to me. I hope you will go through the trouble of getting and posting the screenshots. Also include your settings. I am not disputing your results. Different place, different settings, different results.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

16. Member
    Boy im really on the fence with this. Getting ready to order an ultra unit. I can count all the fish ive caught in my lifetime that were over 35ft on one hand, but sure would be nice to be able to go a bit deeper. My Gt30 works pretty well so if im upgrading I want the best image possible.

whats the useable side range on the gt34? I typically run 75 or less as i only have a 10” unit.

17. Member
    The GT34 is UHD.....on SideVu UHD only. When I was using it I was impressed with the super detail. Best detail in Garmin's quiver. But.....my experience is that that kind of detail starts petering out at about 40 ft to the side. Mine is in the garage because the walleye I'm seeing are running 50 ft deep ususally but sometimes down to 80. So I want to look a good 100 ft to the side. I am using a GT50 right now. If I already had a GT30 that's what I'd use. The GT50 may be every so slightly better but I'd be hard pressed to prove it and the GT50 is expensive. Until or unless Garmin comes out with something better that's not offered now, I'd stick with the GT30 and skip both the GT34 and GT54. Save your money! You may need it.

Garmin has 2 transducers that I simply do not recommend. Just my opinion but based on using them. GT54 and LVS12. The reason I don't recommend the GT54 is that I don't consider it good on UHD which is part of its marketing. It's good on 455 but so are a host of other combo transducers that have both 455 and 800 on SideVu. I consider these others more useful, more productive. I don't recommend the LVS12 because of the gap in coverage. There won't be anyone who buys either of these coming back complaining and say they bought it because of something I posted.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 07-02-2019 at 08:10 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Garmin marketting has missed the mark for a while on how to capitalize on free promotions from users by making screenshots easy to make and use. You can load the shot into Paint and resize it. Some units store them in png format but jpg files show up better on this board. The other alternative is to store them on a hosting site and link them. Sometimes I just dump them to my google share drive and post a link to them. You can do that with Dropbox too. Both offer some free storage.

You are right that the GT54 is a versatile transducer, but Garmin has lots of combo transducers that are versatile. Huge selection. It's the UHD frequency on the SideVu that seemed weak to me. I hope you will go through the trouble of getting and posting the screenshots. Also include your settings. I am not disputing your results. Different place, different settings, different results.
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZG068lP9LYuwfT
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZzODU2BzrvH5LC

Well, found one way I think...
    Brightness is on the screenshots. Contrast stays at 100% always. (Think that was one of your tips. )
    Tvg was on low or off.
    Don't remember what I had other settings at.
    Went out for a couple hours yesterday, but the lake was rough and not conducive for capturing quality images. Maps worked great though!

19. Member
    Thanks. Maybe ill just get a new head unit for now. Im sure in a year there will be something way better anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The GT34 is UHD.....on SideVu UHD only. When I was using it I was impressed with the super detail. Best detail in Garmin's quiver. But.....my experience is that that kind of detail starts petering out at about 40 ft to the side. Mine is in the garage because the walleye I'm seeing are running 50 ft deep ususally but sometimes down to 80. So I want to look a good 100 ft to the side. I am using a GT50 right now. If I already had a GT30 that's what I'd use. The GT50 may be every so slightly better but I'd be hard pressed to prove it and the GT50 is expensive. Until or unless Garmin comes out with something better that's not offered now, I'd stick with the GT30 and skip both the GT34 and GT54. Save your money! You may need it.

Garmin has 2 transducers that I simply do not recommend. Just my opinion but based on using them. GT54 and LVS12. The reason I don't recommend the GT54 is that I don't consider it good on UHD which is part of its marketing. It's good on 455 but so are a host of other combo transducers that have both 455 and 800 on SideVu. I consider these others more useful, more productive. I don't recommend the LVS12 because of the gap in coverage. There won't be anyone who buys either of these coming back complaining and say they bought it because of something I posted.