shell crackers??

Going after shell crackers in a few days. I am planning on using my crappie rigs that have high vis line. Do I need to add a leader of some type such as fluorocarbon line? I don't think crappie jigs will work so am using a small hook with maybe a small split shot weight. I'm reading that they are bottom feeders. Any tips are appreciated.
    thanks!

2. Member
    I wouldn't bother with a leader. I've always caught them on crickets this time of year but they can be picky about what they are willing to eat. I also caught them and bluegill on those tiny little crank baits. They will sometimes hit those things like a run away train. In my experience shell crackers like a gravel bottom for spawning where a regular bluegill will opt for a more sandy type bottom. Thus, I try to target those places when they are on beds. They are fun to catch and great to eat, hope you catch a bucket full!

3. Member
    I have found that shell crackers ( red ear sunfish) prefer earthworms to crickets. Bluegills really like both worms and crickets.

4. Member
    From my experience, shell crackers prefer worms as well.
    Leave a little part to wiggle and they will usually take it.
    I've seen them just sit and just stare at crickets though.
    But bluegills will usually take crickets better. Especially the bigger bluegills.

5. Member
    I drag bottom like Carolina rig. Dempsey swivel weight on bottom and about 18” above tie hook on with loop knot with about 4” tag so it sits in there face when your retrieve it. You can feel the gravel like you that and they bite funny sometimes so in doubt set the hook. I also take cork set up too. I like eagle claw 2x sz 8 hooks because they’ll swallow it and can get it out. If you have sidescan you can eliminate a lot of water just look for there beds and get after them. Good luck!

6. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:22 AM.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I caught about a dozen bluegills, 3 catfish, 2 drum and 1 12 inch bass on night crawlers. Didn't find any shell crackers. Thanks spoon minnow. I"ll try those baits the next time out.

8. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:21 AM.