Bimini Top Straps

Finally got around to ordering and installing a Carver Bimini top for my RT178. The one thing I’m not happy with is the front and rear straps. As you can see from the picture, the metal clasps are going to scratch the hell out of the paint on the gunnel. I considered putting the attachment points on the carpet but it wouldn’t have been feasible with the limited space on the bow between the gunnel and storage box hinges.

Any ideas on what I could do to prevent paint damage?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Get some XPEL paint protection film and lay it there?

How about installing some kind of webbed loop on to the attachment on the gunnel and then attaching the strap to the webbed loop? Maybe you could even put a round metal fitting of some kind on the webbed loop to attach the clip to.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    How about installing some kind of webbed loop on to the attachment on the gunnel and then attaching the strap to the webbed loop? Maybe you could even put a round metal fitting of some kind on the webbed loop to attach the clip to.

Hmm that’s not a bad idea. I was thinking of some kind of chain link to get the wider clasp up and away from the gunnel but that would rattle around when not in use I imagine. Perhaps some kind of paracord loop? Just gotta make sure it doesn’t weaken the connection. It’s supposed to be good up to around 35mph. Didn’t plan on going that fast with it up - probably half that at most.

I already planned on finding a plastic or rubber washer of sorts to go under the attachment. Didn’t realize until after I installed them that the top of the gunnel would get damaged as well.

5. Member
    Looks like the foot is mounted on the inside of the gunnel, should have been mounted on the top to avoid your issue. Remove the foot, have an upholsterer make a 2” piece of webbing with 1/4 grommets on each end. Slip one end of webbing onto the foot, reattach the foot then use the other end of the webbing for the Bimini strap.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Looks like the foot is mounted on the inside of the gunnel, should have been mounted on the top to avoid your issue. Remove the foot, have an upholsterer make a 2” piece of webbing with 1/4 grommets on each end. Slip one end of webbing onto the foot, reattach the foot then use the other end of the webbing for the Bimini strap.
    I intentionally mounted them there along with the tops attachment brackets. I did not want anything on the top of the gunnel. My cleats are also side mounted.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    I intentionally mounted them there along with the tops attachment brackets. I did not want anything on the top of the gunnel. My cleats are also side mounted.
    I figured you did it intentionally, they just should have been mounted properly on the top to avoid this exact issue. Now you’ll just have to figure a work around it. My posted idea came from a a buddy who used to make custom tops and had customers come to him who mounted the feet like you did.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

8. Member
    Hence my post. I have some ideas in my head but there’s likely a better solution that I’m overlooking. Easiest would be to pick up some different straps that have the longer/narrow clasps but Carver says theirs are superior to that style.

The rubber or plastic washer/shim will take care of any rub damage on the side under the foot. If the clasp was longer it would be a non issue since it’s just the wide part that the webbing loops around that is an issue.

9. Member
    What about dipping it in liquid rubber? Think flexseal or something along those lines. Then it wouldnt scratch, amd could still be used as you have it. Just an idea.

Do a search for "stainless pad eye plate" and pick a style you like.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    What about dipping it in liquid rubber? Think flexseal or something along those lines. Then it wouldnt scratch, amd could still be used as you have it. Just an idea.
    Was actually my first thought but I’ve never used the stuff. How durable is it?

12. Member
    It holds up pretty well. Ive seen it used on a hammer handle for someone who frames houses everyday and it holds up for them.

13. Member
    use about a foot of para cord and make a loop,Cheap fix.If you don't like it or come up with a better idea,go for it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    use about a foot of para cord and make a loop,Cheap fix.If you don't like it or come up with a better idea,go for it.
    Probably what I’ll do for the time being. Suggestions on a strong knot?

I use the heavy duty white zip ties. Make them just long enough to keep the metal clasp clear of the glass.

P01135809