Lowrance Hook 7 Tripleshot with constant issues

My boat dealer tried to talk me out of buying a Lowrance unit when I purchased my new boat and I didnt listen. The unit has not functioned consistently since I purchased it 6 months ago. It intermittently displays depth and sometimes takes forever to start displaying depth after coming down to idle speed. I have tried a host of things Lowrance customer service suggested but with no luck. I downloaded the software update and still no depth display. Its too much trouble to have to send in the unit,then if its not the unit I have the transducer cable removed and send it in. I will never buy another Lowrance product again. I'm going to try a new Hummingbird unit to see if theres a difference.

2. Member
    Ive had zero issues with mine

3. Member
    Glad to hear your unit is working without issues. The icing on the cake for me was when customer service told me I would have to ship the unit to San Diego, CA and then on to Mexico for it to be bench tested.

4. Member
    same here! spend a lot of time trying to get the damn thing to find the bottom , reads 2.5' a lot,power down/power up, junk!!!!

5. Member
    Hook2 is somewhere between useless and junk. Look to Simrad Cruise or Lowrance Elite Ti2 if you want a better unit.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Hook2 is somewhere between useless and junk..
    Did TC just say that???
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    lol yes he did

Ill continue to praise my Hook2 until it gives me trouble.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    lol yes he did

Ill continue to praise my Hook2 until it gives me trouble.
    Here are a few screenshots from a Hook2 7 Splithsot to fuel you on that quest. ;)They are all saltwater, depth in feet.

The deepest I have been with it:

Well defined arch:

Vertical jigging:

And the trick to make it work like it should is a fairly easy one to, ditch the original Hook2-transducers. In the screenshots above I`m using HST-WSBLand adapter 000-14068-001. The one to the right here:

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Did TC just say that???
    One of the benefits of not beeing prostaff. :)

My beef is actually not with the Hook2 itself, it is with the transducers its sold with. (As described in #8). But I must admit that I`m disapointed in Lowrance on that part of it, they made a mistake with the 2D-element in those transducers, transforming what is a quite capable unit into junk.

10. Member
    One of the benefits of not beeing prostaff. :)

My beef is actually not with the Hook2 itself, it is with the transducers its sold with. (As described in #8). But I must admit that I`m disapointed in Lowrance on that part of it, they made a mistake with the 2D-element in those transducers, transforming what is a quite capable unit into junk FOR DEEPER WATERS
    Fixed that for ya

Deepest waters I fish are about to 150ft, but 80% of the time im under 50ft. For me the idea of having a 2d view that covers a lot of water under the boat is desirable for finding fish. If i want more detail of structure i'll use DI and/or SI.

A "normal" coned 2d transducer just doesnt cover enough water for me. Seeing only 5ft of the bottom in 2d a lot of the time is basically useless

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    A "normal" coned 2d transducer just doesnt cover enough water for me. Seeing only 5ft of the bottom in 2d a lot of the time is basically useless
    Which is wh the sonar-gods gave us tools like sidescan, 360, Livescope and LiveSight. :) Covering a large area but without messing up your abilities in deeper water.

12. Member
    OK - Not unusual when it comes to electronics - I am confused. I posted this question in another thread and Team Colibri responded the same as above. I bought a 7" and 9" Hook2 Triple-Shots for a great price, the transducer is huge and too big for my T/M, I am going with either a Hook2 Splitshot or TC's recommendation. I will never fish deeper than 100 ft and 99.99% will be under 40 ft.

Which one will give the better view?

Thanks,
    Jeff

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyrodder View Post
    My boat dealer tried to talk me out of buying a Lowrance unit when I purchased my new boat and I didnt listen. The unit has not functioned consistently since I purchased it 6 months ago. It intermittently displays depth and sometimes takes forever to start displaying depth after coming down to idle speed. I have tried a host of things Lowrance customer service suggested but with no luck. I downloaded the software update and still no depth display. Its too much trouble to have to send in the unit,then if its not the unit I have the transducer cable removed and send it in. I will never buy another Lowrance product again. I'm going to try a new Hummingbird unit to see if theres a difference.
    I have this same problem as well. Thinking of ditching the Hook2 7 for something else. I also have a hard time seeing anything on SI and have tried all kinds of settings.
    2005 PT 185 Special Edition
    60hp Tracker Marine
    80# Minn Kota Terrova
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv
    Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Did TC just say that???
    +1 “If it’s a spade, by’gawd, I’m calling it a spade!” [spits on the floor, drags his sleeve across his lips n’ stares you in the eye]

transducers

Here are a few screenshots from a Hook2 7 Splithsot to fuel you on that quest. ;)They are all saltwater, depth in feet.

The deepest I have been with it:

Well defined arch:

Vertical jigging:

And the trick to make it work like it should is a fairly easy one to, ditch the original Hook2-transducers. In the screenshots above I`m using HST-WSBLand adapter 000-14068-001. The one to the right here:
    What transducer do you recommend or did you run with the adapter cable when you ditched the original hook2 transducer. Im looking to do the same with your results on a hook2 5 splitshot that im having issues with

specifically looking for your recommendation for good transom mount for inshore/offshore use compatible with hook2

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas_mas View Post
    What transducer do you recommend or did you run with the adapter cable when you ditched the original hook2 transducer. Im looking to do the same with your results on a hook2 5 splitshot that im having issues with
    My testing with Hook2 was brief, but I did test 83/200-HDI, HST-DFSBL and Airmar P66. I got the best results with 83/200-HDI.
    When Hook Reveal was launched I spent a considerable amount of hours testing a 7 Splitshot/ HDI though. A good thing with Hook Reveal, was that here in Europe they where sold with the MUCH better HDI-transducers, and not the crap Bullet and Splitshot. Hook Reveal and Hook2 have the same connectors, so a 83-200-HDI and 50/200-HDI was created with connectors that fit Hook2/ Hook Reveal. 83/200-HDI with the push-style connector is SKU 000-15640-001.

Thanks appreciate the input!