Margay Owners Questions

Hello all,

I am looking into my boating future (hopefully within the next year or two) and debating on selling my fish and ski and getting something else.

As I look through boats, I would have never thought of buying new, but the Bass Cat Margay has caught my eye.

I fish all east TN waters. For the most part they are pretty calm (except when the wakeboarders zoom by).

I believe the 17' 7" boat with a 150 would fit my needs well. I fish a lot alone, sometimes with a partner. I don't foresee myself becoming a tournament fisher.

I fish mostly to get away from work, and to catch some dinner from time to time (crappie).

Does this boat sound like it would fit my needs well? I have a garage I can store in with a 8' tall by 9' wide door and it is over 20' deep -- I don't foresee any garage issues (my current 19' fish and ski fits in there at an angle).

It looks like it would have plenty of rod storage, and the compartments were thought out well. The wide front deck is also appealing. That is something I really don't have with my current fish and ski.

I assume you can have the outboard of your choice if you ordered the boat? I would have a hard time deciding between the Evinrude G2 150HO and the Mercury Pro Xs 150 4 stroke...

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

2. Member
    Sounds like it should fit your needs very well

3. Member
    BassCat boat and a BassCat trailer, the best of both worlds.
    Pick the engine that's easier to get serviced in your area.
    You should be pretty close to the White Pine dealership, if memory serves me correctly.
    The Margay would fit your needs, but there seem to be a lot more Sabres, Classics and Panteras in the world to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    BassCat boat and a BassCat trailer, the best of both worlds.
    Pick the engine that's easier to get serviced in your area.
    You should be pretty close to the White Pine dealership, if memory serves me correctly.
    The Margay would fit your needs, but there seem to be a lot more Sabres, Classics and Panteras in the world to choose from.
    White Pine is about an hour from me. Seems like only Mercury and Yamaha outboard service centers near me.. I assume the Margay is the cheapest boat (I know they can be optioned out and the sky is the limit). I dont see myself needing more than a 150 hp which is what I have now. I know the Sabre probably can run ok with a 150, but I would rather have a boat maxed out on HP and i haven't found another new 17 footer that is maxed for more than 115....

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

5. Member
    If your looking for a 17 foot Bass Boat with a wide front deck, great handling, plenty storage, run 60 mph and be affordable? The Margay is perfect for you. Add only the necessities, Merc 150 ProXs 4 stroke, that will keep the price affordable.
    The Sabre maxed with the 175, or Pantera Classic with 200 is quite a price increase over the Margay. Feel free to price them all.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Member
    Mine only has the 115ProXS on it, but if you want to come by and just crawl the boat over really well, or even take a ride...I'm not too far away. The grand metropolis of Tazewell is only about 90min from Alcoa.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    Mine only has the 115ProXS on it, but if you want to come by and just crawl the boat over really well, or even take a ride...I'm not too far away. The grand metropolis of Tazewell is only about 90min from Alcoa.
    How does your boat do with the 115 on it? Top speed, handling in rough water, speed to plane, etc.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    How does your boat do with the 115 on it? Top speed, handling in rough water, speed to plane, etc.
    The boat handles rough water pretty well...the seating position is lower down into the boat than some other BCB's. As for getting on plane...the boat is pretty weight sensitive. I'm not a lightweight guy, so if/when I had the livewell completely full (unusual since I don't fish tournaments), it doesn't hop right up on plane, but in my experience the boat does as fine a job as any. With two big guys and gear, this is where the weight sensitivity really comes into play. The boat will get on plane okay, but won't get up onto pad. Without that air underneath it, and not all the way up on pad, the boat tops out at ~43-44mph. I can feel the boat really trying to get up there...as in if I (or my partner, lol) dropped about 50lbs, it might climb out of the water and get on pad.

For the kind of fishing I do...fun fishing, usually solo, and not in any particular hurry...it more than meets my needs.
    -David Daye

9. Member
    150 on mine. 52-53 mph is where I really feel it lift and feel like it gets really going.

If you go with the Mercury...Don Weed @ European Marine in Greenville SC is only 2.5-3 hours south. Only technician allowed to touch my motor.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostone View Post
    150 on mine. 52-53 mph is where I really feel it lift and feel like it gets really going.
    Mine is about 44-45. That hull lifts up, rpm drops, and the speed starts to really build
    -David Daye