Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    idbefishing

Bald Eagles in your area

Unrelated to fishing but I thought I'd ask if you guys are seeing these birds in your area. 2 days ago I saw a pair of Bald Eagles in a corn field in Whitestown, a first for me as I've never seen them in the open like that. They were near the road and they took off, landed back down 20-30 yards away, with some kind of rodent in their talons. What weird is we don't have much wooded areas, no big body of water, no normal nesting area. Maybe they were just passing thru, maybe Whitestown is growing so fast even eagles are moving here.

We have some out here (Heritage Lake). Last year one would be in a field picking at a deer that had been hit for a few days. There was a couple of buzzards that would sit and watch him like they were waiting their turn.

There's a pair that hunt around my large neighborhood retention pond on a pretty regular basis, right off 135 in Greenwood.

4. Member
    All over the place here................

5. Member
    Dozens on and around Monroe....and they are really starting to expand. The reintroduction process that the DNR did at Monroe was a huge success!

We have a nest south of me on the White river and one nest east of me on Back creek. See a lot of eagles at my house flying up and down Guthrie Creek. This is east of Bedford.

The rivers here, in the winter, will have fairly large numbers of eagles. Both Salamonie and Mississenwa have multiple nests. The lakes north of us usually you will see eagles about every trip. Saw one on summit the other day as well. Also see a lot of ospreys and loons now.

The eagles will eat about anything, see them on dead deer sometimes in fields over the winter.

I've seen as many of 20 at one time along the salamonie river, and I know there was 80 or so along the mississenwa a few years ago in the winter.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

8. Member
    I see them almost every trip to most lakes here in MN. Saw one swoop down and grab a 24-30 inch pike out of the water last summer. It could barely fly with the fish in its talons but somehow made it into a tree and had a nice lunch. Really cool birds to watch.

We have some that hang around a couple of our local lakes on the one lake I see then pretty regular

10. Banned
    See em almost trip at Patoka Lake. Beautiful bird and big!!!!

11. idbefishing
    It’s cool to see them being more common

12. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I see them down at Brookville Lake almost every time I go down there. See them driving in the country side around here(Richmond) as well.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

13. Member
    Wife and I just got "hollered at" by a pair yesterday while we were in the back yard. She heard it and asked what it was, I said Hawk but then they glided by. We're a mile from the Susquehanna and Eagles are every where up here. People loose pets to them and Hawks pretty regularly.

14. Member
    We have a few in my area great looking wing span is amazing.

Last edited by fishinarc; 02-04-2023 at 08:50 AM.

16. Member
    All over the place near the rivers here.

17. Scraps
    More and more on the Upper Chesapeake. And the dam osprey seem to like the best docks too.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    Williams Dam on East Fork of White River on Hwy 450 in the spring has anywhere from 10 to as many as 21 as the backwaters area next to the abandoned rail road will thaw out first in the spring. They fish the backwaters and are great to watch.

19. Banned
    Our area of the Tennessee River has a bunch of bald eagles in the winter. They fly back to Alaska for the summer, however.

They're quite a sight sitting in city park trees alongside the river. They're watching for fish trolling by so they can put those big talons to good use. They actually know the fishermen that are in the area quite often. They've been known to get commercial fishermen to throw fish up in the air so they can fly by and grab'em.

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Williams Dam on East Fork of White River on Hwy 450 in the spring has anywhere from 10 to as many as 21 as the backwaters area next to the abandoned rail road will thaw out first in the spring. They fish the backwaters and are great to watch.
    You ever fish the slough? 20# bags came from there before the DNR put the slot limit on the river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast