Stratos 294 pro xl jack plate and prop

Hey guys. Here is the run down guys. 2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL running a 2005 Yamaha 200 Vmax 3.1L EFI with 1.81 gears. It is set 3rd hole from top with a 25p Ballistic prop (not the greatest at all I know). The prop to pad seems pretty low at roughly 4.5-4.75.

I don't have nice level ground to get exact measurements and can’t trim motor to level when boat is level because the skeg will hits ground before level. I measured by leveling boat and getting the motor as close as I could. Then holding a straight edge from the keel to the lower unit and measuring distance from the prop shaft to straight edge.

I can’t break 55mph and 5100 rpms at WOT with 15-20psi for water.

I have read that guys are reaching low to mid 70s with this boat. I know adding a plate and better prop will more than likely take care of some of the problem and plan on doing the plate first to see where that gets me and then buying a prop accordingly but seems like I would be expecting a big jump in performance to get from where I am now to where most are with this rig.

I also called the Stratos support line which is basically calling Ranger now to see if they thought that much of a gain is realistic They put me on with someone who was with Stratos for 25years before they shutdown. He told me that low 70s is more than realistic with this boat and recommended defiantly adding an 8in plate and a new prop but said that he wouldn’t go above a 25 pitch which I thought was strange as I read a lot of guys using a 27 Tempest on their rigs and getting great results.

I’m torn between an 8in Rapid Jack (ease of adjustment but only 4 1/2in of lift) and an 8in Bobs Versa Jac (I believe 6 1/2in of lift and upgradeable to hydraulic but slightly more difficult to adjust).

As far as a prop I am between a Tempest and Fury in 25 or 26 pitch depends on where the addition of a plate puts me.

So my question is do you guys think I will see that much of a gain and which of these plates and props would be recommended.

Thanks a ton!

2. Banned
    If it's hitting the ground it is way too low. Yes you will see a drastic improvement with a plate. Prop is a choice in what you want out of the boat speed or better control. I like Trophy+ 4 blade that has been BnB.

3. Member
    Get the rapid jack and a 25" tempest or a 25M Yamaha prop you'll get better bow lift. Make sure your leveling the pad not the top of the boat because in the third hole from the top it should measure closer to 4" or less. When you hang the motor on the plate hang it adjusted for the motor to be at 4 1/2" under when it's all the way down and you will have plenty of adjustment up. Here is how to measure prop to pad http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660

4. Member
    I leveled the boat by the pad not on top. Also does anyone happen to know what length transom bolts I will need?
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    If you ever wanna add powerpoles or talons and want to sidemount to the jackplate then get something other then a rapid jack.