Replace oil pump, try to fix/patch it or switch to mixing oil?

1988 200 hp Mercury Outboard, s/n OB 332898. We had an oil line we had to replace a few years ago and when putting the bolt/fitting in that the oil runs thru, I stripped the threads on the oil pump. I used JB weld on it and it has held up for however many years it has been, thank God above. Yesterday, when messing with the motor trying to get it start (and I did not succeed in that), I noticed the bolt/fitting/line turning when the choke was hitting it.

I looked online just to get an idea and saw an oil pump for $277 new. That's alot of money for a boat that gets used 5-6 times a year (although I would like to go a little more this year). So, should I try the JB weld again, which seems somewhat risky, replace the pump, or just do away with the oil injection like I have read a few times and just mix the oil in the gas like we used to do when we had portable tanks in our previous boats? If switch to mixing, does anyone know approximate cost on the kit to terminate the oil injection system, and is difficult to install?

Also, think I am going to try to replace the fuel filter to see if I can get this thing started, the one on there looks like a canister instead of the kind you would see on a riding lawn mower. Is it safe to just use an in-line filter from an auto parts or lawn and garden store, or should I search out the identical Mercury part? I was hoping my dad, son and I could go fishing Friday, but right now it is not looking good, unless we just use the trolling motor.

Thanks

2. Member
    well heres a deal replace the filter with whats suppose to be on it, block off kits are fairly cheap and easy to install , or buy new pump, OR if you want to wait I prob got a used pump around here somewhere ill send you for FREE, well the cost of the freight mail man cant be much
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    well heres a deal replace the filter with whats suppose to be on it, block off kits are fairly cheap and easy to install , or buy new pump, OR if you want to wait I prob got a used pump around here somewhere ill send you for FREE, well the cost of the freight mail man cant be much
    What a guy JOE is!!!!!

4. Member
    That would be great, Joe, if you can find it let me know, pm me your email address and I can PayPal the money to you for shipping if you take PayPal. I appreciate it very much, and may the Lord bless you!

5. Member
    IM DIGGN
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Joe is the real deal. He has helped me out before.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

7. Member
    I found one how you want it shipped , id rather mail it un parcel serv

8. Member
    PM sent with info, Joe. Thank you, and may the Lord bless you!

9. Member
    good man there

10. Member
    mailed yesterday should be there wedns

11. Member
    Thanks Joe, that would be great. I hope to work on the boat Saturday and try to get the boat running and swap out the pump. I appreciate very much what you are doing, and please let me know what I owe you.

12. Member
    Don, Joe, and Savage are quite an asset to this board and share a ton of knowledge and information. They have been there, done that, and it shows. Their time and sharing is greatly appreciated.

13. Member
    wow what a resource! Way to step up Joe!!

14. Member
    never hurts to be nice to someone every now and then , this old world aint getting no better , I used to drive to school every day with a gun hanging in my rear window and leave the doors unlocked and windows down