2006 25hp EFI four stroke.

I have a 2006 25Hp EFI four stroke, bought new in 2008 and have had zero issues with this motor. I use this motor on a HP restricted body of water with very gd smallie fishing. Every yr I put the boat away and in the spring I take it out and change the oil, filter, and lower unit lube, run it with the muffs on in the driveway and take it fishing a few days later. I did all of this and when I got to the lake the motor acted like it had a dead battery and was hard to pull with the cord. I changed batteries and same thing. Launched any way and used the trolling motor to fish, on occasion I would try to start the motor, the engine would turn over normally but not start, second turn of the key and it would go into the same hard to turn over mode, wait a half hr and again it would turn over normally and not start, 2nd turn of the key and it would be hard to turn over. Took it to the dealer and after two wks he says its the compression relief valves on the cam and i will more than likely need a new cam.

This motor has about has low hrs on it and has been taken care oil, filter and lower unit changed every yr regardless of hrs used, never used in salt water. Why would compression relief valves need to be replaced when it fired right up in the driveway with no issues? Could it be another issue?

Any advice on this issue would be appreciated.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info for your post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor