Thread: Smoking Bologna

Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Smoking Bologna

Picked up a 10lb bologna role and plan to smoke it, then slice for sandwiches. Plan on scoring the outside, but wanted to get some thoughts on what kind of seasoning to use and whether a light coating of mustard would be needed to help the seasoning stick. What flavor of wood would you choose?

thanks for the input.

2. Member
    Make sure your temp doesn't go over 200, above that and the moisture explodes.

3. Member
    I score it, rub with mustard and hit it with whatever bbq rub I like at the moment. Make sure to massage it down into the cuts to get more coverage. Smoked at 225 for a couple of hours and it turned out great. Personally tho, I would cut it in chunks and make burnt ends. I think this gets more surface area for the rub and sauce to penetrate.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

4. Banned
    It's best if cooked at the same time that you're cooking a pork shoulder. Same way with smoking chickens.

I'm not a fan of the smoke from burning wood. I like smoke that comes from rendering fat drippings directly onto smoldering hardwood coals.

5. Member
    I would cut it into sections and try different rubs because the smoke and rubs won’t penetrate a whole stick. I use hickory and oak in small amounts and honey mustard and taco seasoning is good stuff. It’s always gone first when I do it with cracker bologna at grilling time.

6. Member
    Mississippi Prime Rib----Here is a little secret--if you due cook a chub to slice and eat--once you slice it--Put it back on the grill for a few minutes on both sides and BBQ sauce if you want and finish with Cole slaw and a hamburger bun...................Yum--YUM

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    I score it, rub with mustard and hit it with whatever bbq rub I like at the moment. Make sure to massage it down into the cuts to get more coverage. Smoked at 225 for a couple of hours and it turned out great. Personally tho, I would cut it in chunks and make burnt ends. I think this gets more surface area for the rub and sauce to penetrate.
    good idea
    TrackerUser

I cold smoked some once, it disappeared fast. No rub, no sauce. Cut it in 2inch chunks an hour of smoke was plenty.

"I'm just looking for a bite"

Let the smoke be the star of the show, no rub or seasonings, bologna has enough seasonings added to it when it's processed, in the smoker for an hour maybe 2, serve on saltine crackers with a nice sharp cheddar cheese. Or sandwiches both are fantastic.

10. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I'm going to have to try this! I'll also throw some pickled bologna on to try.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

Some guys did one at work a few years ago, no rubs or sauces but they cored it and stuffed with provolone cheese. Turned out really good.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

12. Member
    Where are you all getting 10 lbs of bologna.. Local butcher ?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Where are you all getting 10 lbs of bologna.. Local butcher ?
    Most of the local grocery stores carry 10lb chubs. I just bought a 3lb section when I smoked mine.

14. Banned
    Man i wish I knew someone that would smoke a roll for me. I could eat that stuff everyday. Lol

15. Member
    50# of pepperjack deer bologna this season with an hour of smoke then finished to temp and it's amazing. Ive got to try and buy one and smoke it a bit now.

16. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Man i wish I knew someone that would smoke a roll for me. I could eat that stuff everyday. Lol
    I'd do that, but it'd probably disappear before you got here to pick it up.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

17. Member
    I think next time I'm going to do a smoke on the cracker sized chub instead of the large one. I believe you will get better smoke penetration and good grief wouldn't it be good on some crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    I think next time I'm going to do a smoke on the cracker sized chub instead of the large one. I believe you will get better smoke penetration and good grief wouldn't it be good on some crackers.
    A good cheddar cheese also and it’s heaven

19. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Turned out darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Let the smoke be the star of the show, no rub or seasonings, bologna has enough seasonings added to it when it's processed, in the smoker for an hour maybe 2, serve on saltine crackers with a nice sharp cheddar cheese. Or sandwiches both are fantastic.
    On point! But, after smoking, thick slice some and briefly fry in an iron skillet for sandwiches. Thats living life right there! Serve on TX Toast w/lettuce and tomato for a great sammich!