Anyone with experience w/GCV-20 & GT34UHD-TM

Looking at pairing this up with 8610svx. 1.2MHz side scan looks interesting coupled with some outstanding Chirp frequencies.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    With UHD system mentioned, you only get 1 frequency for down/side.....from my personal experience, i did not like the results of the UHD system....i had it on my Echomap Plus 93 and images werent worth a crap....it's a possibility that the resolution on the 93 made it useless for me....i its no where near HB's mega....i have seen pics on FB that were tons better than mine and probably will have better images on the 8600 with the HD screens......thats just my experience....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Mmmmm... I don't think that's what I'm seeing. Maybe they changed it. Look at these specs and see if they match what you had.

Frequencies supported Ultra High-Definition ClearVü: 0.8 MHz (800 kHz), CHIRP range: 760-880 kHz
    Ultra High-Definition SideVü: 1.2 MHz (1,200 kHz), CHIRP range: 1,060-1,170 kHz

Is ClearVu actually down imaging? I'm thinking it is.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yes, clear vu is down....its a fixed frequency......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Ryan_8
    I have it on my boat and am greatly disappointment from what Humminbird or even lowrance offers. The images are not clear and blurry. For the price you pay for it, you are better off going to humminbird or livescope. My unit is a 1242xsv so the screen resolution isn't an issue. The picture below is a sunken boat lift that was taken in about 15' of water. My old Lowrance HDS 7 gen 2 produced a better image than what I got from my garmin.
    IMG_6914.JPG

6. Member
    Well... the first thought that comes to mind is... that’s diappointing. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be able to convince myself to drop +/- 10k to go from Lowrance poor support to a Garmin product, supposedly top of the line equipment, with such poor imagery. Something about biting off my nose to spite my face comes to mind. They do have a new “54” uhd transducer for the 86xx series. It does have some additional frequency option. But what I’m seeing isn’t necessarily a frequency issue. I had Gen 2 Touch stuff as well and yes... the images the Gen 2 equipment produced was magnitudes better than what I’m seein here from Garmin. I got no idea which way to turn now...

7. Ryan_8
    I fish with my cousin who has the HM helix w/ mega imaging and was impressed. All manufacturers have their strengths and weaknesses you just have to figured out which is your top priority. Other than the UHD scanning, I'm happy with my Garmin.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rschweissguth View Post
    I fish with my cousin who has the HM helix w/ mega imaging and was impressed. All manufacturers have their strengths and weaknesses you just have to figured out which is your top priority. Other than the UHD scanning, I'm happy with my Garmin.
    Yup... I hear ya'. Unfortunately scanning is a big deal on Toledo Bend if successful tournament fishing is your goal. I guess... I could go with Garmin figuring, sooner or later, they'll catch up to the competition with their structure scan capabilities. I owned maybe first Garmin sonar/GPS chartplotter w/internal antenna that was back in '97--'98. Menu navigation even then was well thought out and the unit I had was impressive even with it's 4/5" screen.

Here's the spec's for the GT54UDH-TM for anyone that hasn't seen them. They set Max 125'(each side) and max depth of 30' for UHD SideVu but it looks like 455KHz has been added to SideVu to allow for the 500' each side scanning. That in it's self is kind of surprising - I'da thunk 800KHz would of be required for that kind of range. Anybody see anything else with the GT54UHD that stands out over the GT34UHD

Beamwidth CHIRP: 24°-16°
    ClearVü: 0.94°x60° @ 800 kHz
    SideVü: 1.62°x50°
    UHD SideVü: 0.441°x52° @ 1200 kHz

Spec GT54UHD-TM
    Frequency Traditional CHIRP CHIRP High Wide (150-240 kHz)
    Ultra High-Definition ClearVü 0.8 MHz (800 kHz), CHIRP range: 760-880 kHz
    Ultra High-Definition SideVü 1.2 MHz (1,200 kHz), CHIRP range: 1,080-1,230 kHz
    SideVü 455 kHz, CHIRP range: 425-485 kHz
    Power Traditional CHIRP 350 W
    Ultra High-Definition ClearVü 350 W
    Ultra High-Definition SideVü 350 W
    SideVü 350 W
    Beamwidth Traditional CHIRP Adjustable from 16° to 24° in 1° steps
    Ultra High-Definition ClearVü 0.94° x 60°
    Ultra High-Definition SideVü 0.64° x 52°
    SideVü 1.62° x 50°
    Maximum depth Traditional CHIRP 800’
    Ultra High-Definition ClearVü 200'
    Ultra High-Definition SideVü 125' to each side; 250' total, at a maximum depth of 30'
    SideVü 500' to each side
    Last edited by yupitsme; 05-15-2019 at 01:59 PM.

9. Member
    The 455 on the GT54 does great and has great range. If you want UHD (mega) you are far better off to go with the GT34. There is not a best of everything available in one transducer. The GT34 has the best UHD but no 2d and its UHD only. The GT54 has 2d and excellent 455 but the UHD on it seems compromised to get all this on a smaller transducer.

GT34
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=899840
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cV...zney5nh7dBGYMc
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The 455 on the GT54 does great and has great range. If you want UHD (mega) you are far better off to go with the GT34. There is not a best of everything available in one transducer. The GT34 has the best UHD but no 2d and its UHD only. The GT54 has 2d and excellent 455 but the UHD on it seems compromised to get all this on a smaller transducer.

GT34
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=899840
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cV...zney5nh7dBGYMc
    YEAH! That's the images I'm looking for...

Thanks! That helps alot! I've got a Airmar TM185HW 2D transducer it works rather well and I'm good with that as long as I can connected it to the 8610. Can I?

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Looking at pairing this up with 8610svx. 1.2MHz side scan looks interesting coupled with some outstanding Chirp frequencies.
    I don't know that this has been mentioned in the several other threads regarding your future Garmin system. When talking about the GCV20 sonar box, it does share the same receiver as the built-in UHD the 8600 series provides. But, the built-in sonar of the 8600s has a much faster processor than the GCV20 box which results in a faster ping rate. This gives more energy in the water and more hits on a target. Plus, the 8600 has superior processing when compared to any other Garmin MFD. Long story short, the built-in UHD sonar of the 8600 provides superior performance when compared to the GCV20 sonar box.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    I don't know that this has been mentioned in the several other threads regarding your future Garmin system. When talking about the GCV20 sonar box, it does share the same receiver as the built-in UHD the 8600 series provides. But, the built-in sonar of the 8600s has a much faster processor than the GCV20 box which results in a faster ping rate. This gives more energy in the water and more hits on a target. Plus, the 8600 has superior processing when compared to any other Garmin MFD. Long story short, the built-in UHD sonar of the 8600 provides superior performance when compared to the GCV20 sonar box.
    So I've come to understand. I've ditched any of the UHD black box solutions in favor of direct connect the GT34UHD. I saw you mention the GT30 for better 30'+ SideVu. Do I give up any of the, what appears to be, excellent SideVu images when working with depths something less than 30' if I go to the GT30?

Don't know if I should start yet another thread.... about my Airmar TM185HW. It came with the lowrance 7 pin blue connector and 7,000 miles of cable. I cut the cable and, using an Airmar splice kit, connected the blue connector back in. Then... found out to get the Xid to function I had to connect it to the 9 pin port on the Carbon - which I did. So now I have an Airmar transducer with a blue 7 pin connector connected to a 7-to-9 pin adapter cable. So all I need to do is.... OK.... I'll get rid of it and go to a Garmin dual channel HW chirp transducer... I had slated the GT8HW-IH as my on the pad running transducer. I don't mind having another 2D transducer on the transom that may provide better images than the GT8. My Gambler has about a 7 degree bow up attitude when idling at +/- 3mph. So getting a transducer plumb with an in hull application would be pretty trying and one of the reasons I had the 185 on the transom to begin with. I wasn't able to get the 185 absolutely plumb but it was less than one degree out. So I set the 3D Transducer the same degree out of plumb so they were at least pointing to the same location. I would do similar with the Garmin transducers. So to summarize...

I'm going with the the GT8 in hull. Do I add a second HW dual channel transducer to the jack plate/transom? Do I stay with the GT34UHD or go to the GT30. I just read a bit on the GT30 and on the surface it appears I would be giving up some image quality in return for additional depth. I honestly rarely exceed 30' when I'm fishing.

I do prefer the UHD images from the GT34, so long as you will be 30 feet or less in depth most of the time.
    Garmin Pro Team

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    I do prefer the UHD images from the GT34, so long as you will be 30 feet or less in depth most of the time.
    OK... say I'm in 25 fow. What kind of useable side scan range can I anticipate?

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rschweissguth View Post
    I have it on my boat and am greatly disappointment from what Humminbird or even lowrance offers. The images are not clear and blurry. For the price you pay for it, you are better off going to humminbird or livescope. My unit is a 1242xsv so the screen resolution isn't an issue. The picture below is a sunken boat lift that was taken in about 15' of water. My old Lowrance HDS 7 gen 2 produced a better image than what I got from my garmin.
    IMG_6914.JPG

In that pic it looks you have the gain up ,should be about 25 .The backlight should be 100 and brightness should be around 76 .To me it looks washed out.

16. Ryan_8
    Thank you, I will try these settings.