Helix Mega Units Not Sharing Waypoints

I have 2 Helix Mega 12 units and cannot see the waypoints from one to the other. The share data option is turned on on both units. I have power to the ethernet box under the console. All cables seemed to be connected properly. Any suggestions on what to check? Should I connect a cable directly between both units to check?

Quote Originally Posted by brinson View Post
    I have 2 Helix Mega 12 units and cannot see the waypoints from one to the other. The share data option is turned on on both units. I have power to the ethernet box under the console. All cables seemed to be connected properly. Any suggestions on what to check? Should I connect a cable directly between both units to check?
    Yes that is one step in trouble shooting.

Have you done a Restore Defaults?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes that is one step in trouble shooting.

Have you done a Restore Defaults?
    No, I haven't, I will try that now.

4. Member
    Restore Defaults did not have any effect.

5. Member
    Make sure both units have the latest software or at least the same software version

6. Member
    I think I've got it sharing waypoints now. I move the cables on the 5 port box from ports 3,4, and 5 to 1,2 and 3 and it is now sharing data. Not sure why this would make any difference? Also, I have versions 1.46 and 1.40 software. Should I update to 1.90?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brinson View Post
    I think I've got it sharing waypoints now. I move the cables on the 5 port box from ports 3,4, and 5 to 1,2 and 3 and it is now sharing data. Not sure why this would make any difference? Also, I have versions 1.46 and 1.40 software. Should I update to 1.90?
    Possibly bad ports on the Ethernet Switch or just coincidence with Resetting Defaults and recycling power on the units. If you were to reconnect to original configuration and problem repeated then very likely a problem with the switch. With two units, what is being used on the third port?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Possibly bad ports on the Ethernet Switch or just coincidence with Resetting Defaults and recycling power on the units. If you were to reconnect to original configuration and problem repeated then very likely a problem with the switch. With two units, what is being used on the third port?
    Nothing at this time.

9. Member
    brinson, It is always a good idea to have the same software level on like units. Which level is debatable sometimes. You said you switched the cables from ports 3,4 and 5 and moved them to 1,2 and 3. That sounds like 3 things hooked to the switch. Bob

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    brinson, It is always a good idea to have the same software level on like units. Which level is debatable sometimes. You said you switched the cables from ports 3,4 and 5 and moved them to 1,2 and 3. That sounds like 3 things hooked to the switch. Bob
    Yes bobcoy, I'm by no means an expert on electronics but you are correct there are 3 cables and a power cord attached to the box. It was rigged by the dealer. There is a spare ethernet cable that was run when the boat was built and terminates at the bow and is capped. Is the fact that it is connected at the box possibly causing issues?
    /

11. Member
    It could be. An open ended cable or wire is prone to picking up radio frequency noise(antenna). Maybe unscrew the cable and tape it or something to keep it ready for what you add to your network. Bob

12. Member
    That's why I was curious about why 3 ports being used and only two units...LOL The extra cable wouldn't cause the waypoint sharing problem but could be a source for RFI if open ended as Bob mentioned.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

13. Member
    Thank you for the help.

14. Member
    Why would you not start at the #1 port and work from there?
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    Why would you not start at the #1 port and work from there?
    I don't know why, it was set up that way when it was delivered to me.

16. Member
    brinson, are you all set with your network? Did you do 1.90? Bob

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    brinson, are you all set with your network? Did you do 1.90? Bob
    The network seems to be fine. I already had the boat out of the water but I can see all the waypoints on both units now. I have not updated to 1.90 yet as I leave the boat in Arkansas and live in Texas. I plan on loading a SD card to take back with me for the next trip. Is anyone having issues with this version?

18. Member
    Seems like most are doing fine with 1.90. That reset to defaults is harder on some than others. To be fair today's units do have many options and can be a bit of a hassle to get everything the way it is needed to be again. Glad you got your sharing back Bob