Recessed troller

I want to install one on my boat and hope anyone that has done this successfully can give me some pointers. I am really nervous to cut a huge hole in a perfectly good floating boat. Does a deck stringer need to be cut? Its a 2004 20XD. Which pan should I go with also?

2. Member
    The support on my XRS was cut from the factory and I cut the one on my Allison with no ill effects. I did coat the face of the entire cutout with fiberglass resin to seal it from moisture before installing the tray.
    XRS/250 ProXS

3. Member
    I installed one in my 20xd this winter. It was not that difficult; however i do live in Knoxville & went to factory and went over everything with Tom. Im good at finding reasons to visit when i need to see some serious eye candy. I installed the comfortroll deluxe which is what Bullet installs. I used the standard measurement from Bullet of 13” from the center of the front seat post hole to the back edge of the troller tray template cut line. This can be moved in either direction depending on preference. You will cut through one brace but it’s ok because the troller tray will stiffen it back up and act as a brace. Use a jig saw with a metal blade. There will be foam on the underside of the deck so use a blade long enough to cut through foam. Drill four holes in the corners to make a starting place and smooth transition between sides. Regarding measuring, all I can say is measure, measure, and measure again. I actually laid out my measurements and cut lines on the carpet with tape so I could study what it was going to look like and study the measurements before I started Cutting. The wood needs to be sealed with resin or I used marine grade epoxy to seal mine. Now that it’s installed, i love it. It really cleans up the front deck. Take your time & good luck!

On my 20’er I cut mine 12”s back from the carpet edge at the switch panel so I missed the brace. If I were to do it again I’d cut through the brace and move it forward a bit.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    I cut one in my 20 xrd this January and cut threw brace with no problems . Seal fiberglass edge after you cut hole . I keeped mind all the ways forward 1 inch from carpet edge and it's perfect for me

6. Member
    Thanks for the info. So nobody has tied the brace back together under the pan? Any flex in the deck afterwards?

7. Member
    None it feels the same as before , I cut the hole tight where the recessed pedal tray just barely fit

8. Member
    Cut mine in yesterday .... Alot of dang fiberglass itching ....LoL

9. Member

Photo

Photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    My #1 suggestion is to measure and test placement of foot pedal from seat or preferred standing spot 4-5-10 times. Cutting the hole is really no big deal once you cross that mental bridge. But there is no changing the pedal location. Too close or too far sucks. The great thing about doing it yourself is you get to put it right where YOU like it. Everybody is different. I have a bad back so have to lean on my butt seat often. Others never fish with any type of seat. We would put out pedal in a different location. Bullet usually has the pedestal hole farther back than other brands so like I said - measure, test, measure, test, etc............................

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob20xd View Post
    Photo
    Looks nice! I am fixing to do mine.

12. Member
    When I cut in mine on my Xd I always fished without a seat , when I put the seat (years later) in I could barely reach when leaning on the butt seat ... kinda of a pain in the rear .
    I suggest cutting the hole tight then tap the tray in with a rubber mallet for a tight fit , the floor will be solid.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO