Question 2003 187 jackplate

SO I'm buying a project boat, if you havent already figured that out from my other post. Just cant pass it up. I'm getting the boat and trailer for basically what a trailer would cost me for the old boat, which is way past it prime.

Anyway, I have a chance to buy a Atlas 6" electric jack plate for $1k, brand new never installed with the installation kit. I have never used a adjustable jack plate in my 40 years of boating.

Is it worth the extra dollars for a 187 Champ? or any boat for that matter?

TIA

I'm gonna hold off to see what Pat says about this......
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

3. Member
    Mine had a 10”. Worked great with a Tempest Plus 23 worked by Mark
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    IMHO a 6" should be fine. I had an 8" on my 187.. 23 pitch Tempest Plus prop. As Roy said, would wait for Pat to see what he says.

5. Member
    Im going to clarify a little bit. The boat has a 6" manual jackplate on it.

What I'm wanting to get is an opinion on a electric jackplate thats adjustable underway. Is it worth $1000 dollars to purchase the Atlas hydraulic plate to install?

6. Pat Goff
    Hydraulic/electric plates are used for:
    Adjusting for big waves in big water.
    Getting on plane or idling through stump fields in shallow back country stuff.
    If that's a frequent need, go for it, if that's not you, you'll never need the ability.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Banned
    After seeing what a failing atlas plate looks like, it’s the last brand I’d own.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    After seeing what a failing atlas plate looks like, it’s the last brand I’d own.
    Could you clarify please a little bit ? I'd be curious to know what you are referring to.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Could you clarify please a little bit ? I'd be curious to know what you are referring to.
    Watch the second video, the camera was bouncing too bad in the first video to see the motor shaking. I actually saw his post originally on another forum with a better video, I don’t think Al likes us cross linking other forums, so I’ll post these videos.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=981817

On the other forum a guy in the marine industry said that atlas are notorious for having this issue when they start to wear. He said it’s just because of their design and the wear on the cylinders/pistons, whatever they call those things that raise up.

Here I copied it straight from YouTube, pretty crazy the slop in the rams.

Last edited by grout-scout; 05-15-2019 at 10:14 PM.

10. Member
    Thanks. I have a 10" Atlas hydraulic plate. I will be checking to see if mine has play in it or not. Since I've had it I always lower it completely before trailering. I think going down the road with it raised contributes to this issue. I know people who trailer with their's in the full raised position.
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Banned
    Could be the problem, that would def put a ton of extra pressure on the rams.

12. Member
    Thanks for everyones input, I actually held off on the Atlas.
    I havent seemed to need one in the past. Would have been nice a few times, but for now its on with the 6" manual I already have.