Dobyns champ 705cb

Hi all

i have a chance to pick up a Dobyns champ 705cb for a reasonable price used ($130ish US). I need it to handle squarebills, warts & ploppers, and also be a backup jig rod. Will it do this or should I be looking at other models? Any and all opinions and info welcome :) thanks!

Its a crankbait rod... i wouldnt use it for jigs or plastics...... very good price though

3. Member
    Thanks :) appreciate the opinion! Only reason I’m looking at the backup jwr function is some advice from tactical bassin’ that slower action rods are actually good for jwr duty (but I could be misinterpreting this, or missing technicalities like length and power ranges required with slower actions). Much appreciated :)

4. Member
    I have a 705 composite, and I personally wouldn't throw a jig or worm on it. It's not a very powerful rod. I also have a 706, and while it may be OK for light jigs/worms, it wouldn't be the greatest for throwing a small plug. All I throw on that rod is chatterbaits and spinnerbaits.

5. Member
    !! The 5 power rating throws me off. I know it’s a cranking rod and the power ratings are different than jwr power ratings but a 5 power would seem at least equivalent to a medium heavy... :| thank you for advice, appreciate it!

6. Member
    The 5 power is different in my opinion when you talking a specific crankbait rod like the 705cb. Yes, it’s a medium heavy but the bend is much more spread across the blank. I us a Dobyn’s 765cb... great rod for cranking but the action is nothing like Dobyn’s 765 flipping rod I have. Hopefully this helps, when manufacturers make crankbait specific Rods they use different materials and taper that aren’t well suited for jigs and worms to drive a hook set.

7. Member
    Hi again - and thanks again :) just got off the phone with Dobyns to see their opinion; the manager said their cb lineup in general is a little to slow to handle jigs, but a 736cb glass might do it if you really swing on a hookset. He said the best bet for a crossover action would be a 702c champion or up, with a fury, Sierra or colt 703 almost able to do it.

8. Member
    I think a 2 power Champ would be a bit light. Myself, the 3 power would be a good "all around" rod. Kinda like an 843 Loomis...it should handle most applications well.

If you can get a good deal on the composite 705, go for it. It's a pretty sweet rod. I really like mine!

9. Banned
    A 3 power champ is going to be a bit light for all around use. I think the 4 power would be best for an all around power in the champ line.

Def 4 power,,, you could use a 734c for all around presentation
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

11. Member
    I think your really looking at two rods for those bait combos...705cb for warts and squarebills and plopper 90's...734 for jig and bigger ploppers. if I was going try and use just one rod it would be a 733 if the jigs are 3/8 up to a 1/2 with braid.
    Last edited by badgerbass; 05-15-2019 at 09:09 PM.

12. Scraps
    The "cb" rods are for moving baits. If you want to do both, moving baits and bottom bouncers, get a 733.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    That rod is my rattle trap, pair with Zillion 100SHA. It bombs it out over 50/55 yards with 1/2oz.

14. Member
    Thanks all :) :) :)
    update - as I couldn’t hold back on price ($125 us and a lucky craft 1.5), I got the 705cb as my cranking rod.
    to try to keep my rod lineup small (mostly fish from canoes), I now have the champ, a 6’10 mh Shimano cumulus for my primary rod (favorite technique is small spinnerbaits, so this rod is great for that and jerkbaits), my old Berkeley series one for dropshots and Ned Rigs, and a 7’2” Heavy expride for frogging and heavy jwr work. Considering replacing the cumulus with an nrx, but that is a subject for another thread...
    really appreciate the input! Thanks again

15. Member
    Small to medium square bills is all that rod will handle. I have one. I've tried jerkbaits and 3/4 ounce top water and the tip just isn't stiff enough to get the cast I desire and the bait moving the way I want. As of now, it's my dedicated square bill rod, nothing else.