Best prop for lakes with stumps

I have a 2018 521L with the G2. It currently has a Raker HO prop which has 2 blades slightly bent. I do fish stumpy lakes & have hit stumps at idle speed only. I may be way off base here, but the Raker prop seemed to bend easier than the tempest props I have ran on my previous boats. Is the Raker a softer prop than the tempest? Also, which prop would you recommend for lakes with timber on this boat?

Thanks

Yes. They are softer from Chinese metal. Nothing holds up great hitting stumps.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Well do you prefer replacing cheap props or expensive lower units?

I bought a tin boat and kept the aluminum prop specifically because I knew how I’d fish it. Props are cheap and easy to replace. With a few months of ownership last year I already chewed it up on some timber and had to have it repaired. Zero damage elsewhere.

A softer prop would be a plus IMO.

4. Member
    Hydraulic jack plate with the motor mounted in the lowest hole so when it's ran all the way up the prop is above the pad

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Yes. They are softer from Chinese metal. Nothing holds up great hitting stumps.
    Does the tempest plus perform well on the 521 L with the G2, 6” Atlas, 2 12 ft. Talons, 4 AGM batteries & an Ultrex? If so, what pitch would you recommend.
    Thanks for your help

I would choose a large diameter 4 blade like a Razor4 XL or Bravo1 for stern lift.
    Last edited by 21XDC; 05-14-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I would choose a large diameter 4 blade like a Razor4 XL or Bravo1 for stern lift.
    I like the idea of running your Razor 4XL. Can you send me a quote on one for my boat with an extra hub for a spare

Thanks
    Jim

I have no affiliation with these props.... Those are made/offered by Mark Croxton... I live 7hrs away from Mark in a different state. I do have his info in the bottom of my posts though...

I have no affiliation with these props.... Those are made/offered by Mark Croxton... I live 7hrs away from Mark in a different state. I do have his info in the bottom of my posts though...
    Sorry about that. I was confused. I have a call in to Mark now.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I would say the worst beat up one you have as mentioned no prop is stump proof.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Be glad your Raker is made of soft metal and bending rather than throwing a blade. Mercury props are made of a more stiff metal, thus the reason they break, crack or throw blades more than a Evinrude prop. Ask yourself how often have you heard of a Evinrude prop throwing a blade...softer metal bends

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Be glad your Raker is made of soft metal and bending rather than throwing a blade. Mercury props are made of a more stiff metal, thus the reason they break, crack or throw blades more than a Evinrude prop. Ask yourself how often have you heard of a Evinrude prop throwing a blade...softer metal bends
    I have heard some horror stories about the Mercury props, but I have had pretty good luck with them in the past. The Raker prop is just too soft to use in the lakes of East Texas where I fish. I spoke to Mark Croxton today & he confirmed my thoughts on the Raker. I ordered one of his Razor props today. I will let you know how it performs once I get it.
    Thanks to all for the help on this

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Mercury makes a fine prop. I hope no one though my reply was negative. Its just simple physics. A hard stainless will crack, break or throw a blade more than a softer stainless that has the tendency to bend. That is the reason why you rarely hear about a Evinrude props cracking, breaking or throwing a blade. It will bend before it breaks. Again simple physics. Just pick which is the lesser of the two evils.

14. Member
    Does anyone keep an aluminum spare prop just for stumpy/rocky water? I thought about getting a cheap aluminum just for fishing dam tailraces.