Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hulls??? Zx vs i.

I am looking at two different boats right around 2007 year one would be a 20i. And the other one a ZX 225. I would like to know the difference in Hulls, which one handles better which one has better speed better stability and overall features on the boat?

2. Member
    Your 20i will have the better hull for handling rough water. The ZX will be faster on calm days. The 20i will have more options over the ZX. Since your in WI, if you fish the big bay a lot then get the 20i. other than that, which ever boat grabs your attention the most, go for it.
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    i dont really fish any big waters except maybe the chippewa flowage in hayward. I have not fished out of a skeeter but ive heard they are very nice. I currently have a 2000 20ss stratos. So i am hoping i get more of peoples opinions cuz i have no idea.

4. Member
    That would be an upgrade for sure. You cant go wrong with either if you are coming from a Stratos... I would get the zx as it will be a shallower boat and will work well for that area of WI.
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

5. Member
    Awesome thank you

Either one will be a great boat. I have never riden in an iClass but they say they ride better than a ZX and my 2008 ZX rides damn good, most who ride with me speak highly of the ride of my boat.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

7. Member
    my 21i rode like a ranger and handled better than my basscat so you get the best of both worlds. not sure about the ZX line but I would think its a toss up

8. Member
    I went from a 05 ZX250 to an 08 iclass 20. The 20i was rated for a 250 where the zx225 was only a 225hp rating. Skeeter advertised the iclass as having a 3 degree steeper hull angle so it sliced waves better. I recall several times guys expected the hull to bounce based on wave height and they would just look and me and smile. The ride was noticeably different.

The iclass also had 6 inches or so more legroom. That was very noticeable

9. Member
    Never had a ZX but have had a 20i for about ten years now. I bought the 20i because folks said the ride was great. I had back surgery a little over ten years ago and needed as much help in a boat as I could get. Well what folks told me was 100% true. It is the smoothest riding boat I've ever had. I've had just about every make there has been and the 20i beats them hands down. Matter of fact my wife keeps asking me when I'm going to get a new boat and I tell her that there is nothing that will ever beat the ride of the Skeeter. That should tell you something that when the Mrs. tells me to go get a new boat and I tell her I will just keep the one I've had for ten years. The only problem with the Skeeter is that I have had to replace two brain boxes since I've had it. Also, I will add that I repowered with a SHO a couple of years ago. The HPDI finally crapped out.

I had a 2010 20i and agree with RXSkeeter. To be clear they are both great riding boats but the 20i is noticeably smoother in rough water. It also floats very shallow - I fish a lot of river systems and had no trouble bringing that boat up into the skinny.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

11. Member
    I have an 06 20i and am very happy with it, have been in several ZX boats and I have no desire to get out of my iclass and into a ZX. The room behind the console is awesome and skinny water is not a problem for it.

12. Member
    Im only 5'8" so i can barely reach my hotfoot without the slide being all the way forward
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

13. Member
    sounds like the I's have it

14. Member
    Just to clarify. The ZX225 is not faster than the 20i. Close, but I think the gap gets even wider when the loads get heavier. It also seems like the I is more stable as a fishing platform.

The I class can do skinny water fishing just fine. I've push poled mine around where it was too shallow to deploy the trolling motor. It is an amazing riding boat, especially when it gets nasty. Lots of stability. My only wish is the storage was laid out a bit better, but thats not enough of a gripe to replace it.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

16. Randy Walker
    I've owned an 06 I-class since 07 and fished out of a buddies zx 225 for years... Can't go wrong with either but my preference would be the I-class hands down. Excellent platform, and fast hull, so best of both worlds. As others said, there are other differences but if you're asking about just the hull, the I-class nudges out the zx overall from my experience fishing in the two boats, same bodies of water and conditions over the years. Now, if you look past the hull, you have to think about storage and trailers. The trailers on the I-class are pretty much crap, at least the first couple years. The ZX trailer is better from what I have seen fender wise, but it would have leaf springs and the I-class trailer should have torsion bar, unless that changed for different years. The storage you can see for yourself, but look over trailers. Also, the I-class has the DMS system which many guys including me have had issues with. There has also been issues with the brain box in certain years... not sure if the ZX series has the same set up wiring wise... something else to consider... Either way, both models... you will see a huge difference in what you have now... welcome to the skeeter family in advance... haha

17. Member
    Thanks for all the advice. Yeah I'm looking forward to getting into a skeeter. I do have one more question. Between the I class and zx which on would be faster and have better storage and overall appearance at the cockpit?

18. Member
    The ZX has the toggle buttons that are simple and easy to replace. I class has digital gauges that provide more info but are more expensive if they go out. Same with the switches. They are electronic instead of toggle.

i dont think you would notice a difference in storage in a 20i vs a ZX 225 but the seats are noticeable thicker and have more support. The I class also has more leg room at the console. I class has padded front deck where ZX does not.

the 20i with a 250 is a great combination of speed, agility and stability. It’s just a great all around boat

19. Member
    Wrong on speed the 20i will have a 250 the zx225 a 225

Quote Originally Posted by K.D. View Post
    The ZX has the toggle buttons that are simple and easy to replace. I class has digital gauges that provide more info but are more expensive if they go out. Same with the switches. They are electronic instead of toggle
    A 2007 ZX would have a touch pad, not toggles. Believe they used them until about 2010.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast