Crappie Brushpiles

I am going sink a few this weekend on Toledo Bend so the kids can have a place to catch some fish. I am a bass fisherman and not real sure the best places to drop them. What areas do you guys focus on? I was looking at creek bends, and deep water next to ledges. Anything else I should consider? These are some areas that I was considering. Thanks.

2. Member
    I would drop some everywhere that channel makes a bend, sometimes they like the outside bend and sometimes the inside. The better ones seem to be on the side that is the sharpest drop right up on top. I would have some in 12 to 15 foot and some in 20 foot. Same situation off any points including secondary points as sometimes they are the better producers. Mostly hardwood brush with some willow with the leaves still on to attract the baitfish. Here they breakdown in about 2 or 3 years. We use hedge and willow.

3. Member
    How close do you put them to the actual creek?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    How close do you put them to the actual creek?
    It varies. Sometimes really close to the edge and sometimes 10 to 20 yards back. High water flows with strong current have a tendency to move them off into the deeper water sometimes if placed right on the edge of the break. The ones on the breaks are used a lot when the fish are transitioning or moving. The primary and secondary points ones are usually the most reliable when the fish set up on whatever pattern will be in play for a longer period. I like the channel breaks for winter and the points for summer but it pays to check both now and then.

5. Member
    Gotcha. We do get some current movement, but I don't think it is enough to move the piles. Thanks.

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I would drop some everywhere that channel makes a bend, sometimes they like the outside bend and sometimes the inside. The better ones seem to be on the side that is the sharpest drop right up on top. I would have some in 12 to 15 foot and some in 20 foot. Same situation off any points including secondary points as sometimes they are the better producers. Mostly hardwood brush with some willow with the leaves still on to attract the baitfish. Here they breakdown in about 2 or 3 years. We use hedge and willow.
    agreed!
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

7. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    are you using actual brush or making something? Id like to have about 50 of them made up to drop! Been saying I was going to do it for the last few years.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

8. Member
    I am using willows this go around and have sweet gums available to me for the next trip.

9. Member
    Get you some old bowling balls and 1/2 inch PVC. drill holes in the ball and attach them so it looks like a porcupine. These take longer to attract fish but can be deadly once the fish start using them,

10. Member
    Flats that have creek channels running up right against them are always good as are shallower flat points that run out into the creek channels but crappie will also use cover that is up in the middle of pockets and/or more protected type areas like that. It really depends on what time of year you want to fish them and if you are going to focus on pre spawn or post spawn fishing. But in general they like places that are right off of the creek channels.

11. Member
    In the second picture, I would put some between where the big bend in the creek channel and the point on the right come so close for sure.