Thread: Drop Shot Baits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drop Shot Baits

Well I'm one of the last guys that have decided to give drop shoting a try. Can I please get feedback on what baits you guys like to use? I need brand, color and size of bait. My home lake is not very deep. It's normally stained a bit all the time. Visibility is about three to four feet on a good day. I've used shakeyheads and Ned Rigs on the areas I will drop shot with pretty good success but thought I would give the drop shot a try this summer.

Thanks!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay74 View Post
    Well I'm one of the last guys that have decided to give drop shoting a try. Can I please get feedback on what baits you guys like to use? I need brand, color and size of bait. My home lake is not very deep. It's normally stained a bit all the time. Visibility is about three to four feet on a good day. I've used shakeyheads and Ned Rigs on the areas I will drop shot with pretty good success but thought I would give the drop shot a try this summer.

Thanks!
    I started using drop shot a few years ago due to my hatred of a C-Rig, I started off using a lot of the traditional drop shot gear..........hooks, baits and so on but then I branched out and changed it up somewhat and that's when it really started paying off for me. I started using the VMC spin-shot hooks mostly due to the sizes of the hooks plus the simplicity of the rig, some guys complain about these things but I've had zero issues. The larger hooks have allowed me to use larger baits, my go to bait is a 6" Zoom trick worm that I rig weedless. I also often throw a 10" worm on the 4/0 hook that's offered.

3. Member
    I have a lot of luck with the Strike King Dream Shot up here on Lake Erie. I use the Dirt and Morning Dawn color. I also use the Strike King Ocho when I wacky rig. A Keitech Fat swinging impact swimbait in 2.8" or 3.3" and I nose hook it.

Those three are all I throw when it comes to a drop shot. I have had tons of success on all three baits. Largemouth and smallmouth.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Any of the junior-sized craw baits work well on a dropshot, too, as do tube baits. Again, both for largemouths and smallmouths. Nose-hooked if the cover is not snaggy; Texas-rigged if it is.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    I use Strike King's Dream shot a lot in morning dawn and watermelon red flake.

I also like Strike King's Baby Z too in Pearl.

I also use 4" Yum Dingers in watermelon red flake.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

6. Member
    morning dawn robo worm is the only one i used.

7. Banned
    I like a wacky rigged senko on mine.

8. Member
    I use the Dream Shot worm in watermelon red flake about 90% of the time. I also like
    robo worms in different colors. I was the VMC drop shot hook with the lightest weight
    that I can get away with. The Smallies love the dropshot. good luck

The same baits and colors you already use for Ned and shakey head.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Zoom finesse worm, no need for anything else.

11. Banned
    SK dream shot
    GYB shad shape worm
    Jackall rhythm wave 2.8
    Zoom finesse worm
    Roboworm
    and many more

I drop shot a lot up here in the north.

12. Member
    Dream shot
    cross tail shad
    xzone slammers
    PTL hammer shad

pretty much what you need to do is pick a few packs of baits people recommend in the colors you have confidence in. If you just go off of what people say verbatim you have no skin in the game so if it doesn’t work out, you’re less likely to try again. Best piece of advice I ever learned was drop shots work better when you barely work the bait. Let the waves give the bait action. If you’re casting and dragging, that dragging motion is enough action
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    Airbaits air-drop and robo worms
    I have a boat.

14. Member
    About 90% of the time I am using 4.5" Roboworm in Margarita Mutalator. Aaron's MAgic or Oxblood. The other 10% is either another less common color Roboworm or something that has a baitfish like profile in some natural baitfish color. I use the size 1 Gamakatsu drop shot hook 99% and a size 2 texas rigged Gamakatsu the other 1%. I use 1/8 ounce the most but will move up to 3/16 if it is windy or I am fishing past 40'.

15. Member
    ah the So Cal go to.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

16. Member
    Just tried it for the first time this weekend, and it worked pretty well. I used a Roboworm Fat on a 3/0 EWG hook, 3/32 oz. weight. Ready to try some Morning Dawn this weekend. Actually, this is a good reminder to go drop some more $ at TackleWarehouse lol.

17. Member
    Yamamoto shad worm gets bit when nothing else will.

18. Member
    Zoom finesse worm is pretty much all I ever use. I rig to a 1/0 straight shank light wire hook TX rigged. 15lb braid with a very small swivel that I tie 10-12 leader too. Key is to have your graph setup so you can see your line and fish!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

19. Member
    Thanks guys! This is great help for a novice!

Quote Originally Posted by srsnow View Post
    About 90% of the time I am using 4.5" Roboworm in Margarita Mutalator. Aaron's MAgic or Oxblood. The other 10% is either another less common color Roboworm or something that has a baitfish like profile in some natural baitfish color. I use the size 1 Gamakatsu drop shot hook 99% and a size 2 texas rigged Gamakatsu the other 1%. I use 1/8 ounce the most but will move up to 3/16 if it is windy or I am fishing past 40'.
    Those are the long time staple at Perris and DVL!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast