Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

True Mystery: 2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS - Loss of Power but still running at 5700rpms

I have a 2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS, <Serial# 2B125759> mounted to a 2016 Ranger Z521.

Here is what the boats doing - Cranks up and sounds fine, however, she is slow to plane. Full throttle it reaches 52mph - Fully trimmed. The speed will increase a few mph on a long stretch.

The Complete mind bender is, the RPM's still read 5700. I have been questioning my eyes, as in "did i really see 5700? did i misread?" but i don't believe i misread the rpm.

The prop is a Fury, 24p. I have not checked the coils yet, but that wouldn't account for the RPM's. The only thing that makes sense, would be a spun prop, but i did not hear anything, and 52mph seems high on a spun prop.

If you have any ideas as to why this is happening, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated, i imagine this one will take some serious thought.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-30-2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Serial Number

2. Member
    In my experience, a spun prop will not even get a boat on plane. Are you sure your tachometer is working correctly?

3. Member
    Is the RPM reading from Smartcraft instrument?

You do not have a "spun prop".

Have you changed the height of the jackplate?

4. Member
    I am going to tach the prop this weekend to check. And yes, the gauges are smartcraft. As for the jackplate, i have tried everything trim related while running; the best i can get is a few additional mph. Short of checking the RPM's this weekend, i am going to check the coils out.

Is there anything else you can think of, that would cause this?

Thanks for responding, i am trying my best to avoid taking her to the shop - which around here, means a guaranteed month with no boat and a roll of the dice if the problem will be resolved. Thanks again.

5. Member
    KEV I spend a lot of time in z521 boats and yo speed is way off should run mid to high 60s easy with 24 fury/ one runs 70 light with poles and 2 people its a 2012
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I had a similar issue with a Nitro, that on a good day, didn't lift very well with the prop I had. It seemed weak, like I could trim it high enough to get close to normal WOT, but lost some speed. Tried another prop, with no change. A friend told me to replace the plugs, even though they only had around 50 hours on them. I did, and everything returned to normal. That said, I never checked the gaps if the existing plugs, but they didn't look terrible when I pulled them.
    2015 Phoenix 819

you may have a fouled spark plug...had a buddy with an Optimax and his boat ran "great" just slow holeshot and slow top end....turned out he had a fouled plug or two. Changed plugs and issue went away. Make sure you use the appropriate plugs for your Optimax.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=20401
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

8. Member
    If the RPM is right, this isn't a plug issue. Sounds more like a prop issue. IE running across a sand bar which will lower the pitch and propeller efficiency significantly. Your numbers indicate a prop slip of 33% which is way beyond reasonable. I'd check the prop first, otherwise make sure you are not dragging a sea anchor behind you.. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Prop issue...5700 Rpms is way too high for that speed...even with motor too high on jack plate
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

10. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    water trapped in the hull?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

11. Member
    Update: After checking the motor at the house, and becoming more confused as to why everything was checking out fine, i gave in, and took the boat to the shop saturday. Surprisingly, this shop was much quicker than i expected, and called me Monday to say they figured out the problem. The thermostat on 2 cyclinders was bad. I spoke with the mechanic, and he said 1 of the thermostats was popping at around 160+, and the other was popping around 180. Because of this, the motor was going into guardian mode. I said, so this would make the engine only run around 50mph, and the mechanic said "yes". Since this is something they can't check at the shop, i plan to take it out this weekend, and figure out if this is has solved the issue. Does this make sense to anyone? does this sound plausible?

12. Member
    no warning horns for overheat ????? make sense NOPE 5700 is not in gaurdian
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    no warning horns for overheat ????? make sense NOPE 5700 is not in gaurdian
    This. You will not see that kind of RPM in guardian mode.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Locknload59 View Post
    This. You will not see that kind of RPM in guardian mode.
    Can't really say that- as Guardian can limit you to anything from 3% to 98% available power, depending on the SEVERITY of the situation.

That being said- I sincerely doubt that the thermostats were the issue in the above scenario. If they were indeed sticking until 160-180 degrees, you would have had multiple warnings to advise you of the OVERHEATING condition.

Much more likely something like a spark plug, or even minor leading edge damage or scuffing to the 24P Fury (they can lose SIGNIFICANT lift and speed with only very minor edge damage).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Can't really say that- as Guardian can limit you to anything from 3% to 98% available power, depending on the SEVERITY of the situation.
    Thank you for correcting my error Don. I had no idea that it would allow up to 98% power for some conditions.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    I agree on the warning horn, as the horn has not been present while running - at least, i believe i would be able to hear it while running. I bought the plugs, and will change them as a backup before heading to the lake. I was reading earlier that if the battery is below 10v and above 16v, then the motor will go into guardian mode at 75% - which, 75% of 70mph, is 53 (rounded 17.5), so 53mph. I am going to test them tonight when i get home. Why would this even be a guardian mode item?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine cannot run properly with inadequate voltage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Update: I checked the batteries last night, they were all 12.63. So that easy fix is out the door. I'll update again after i get the new plugs in, and test her out this weekend on the water. Thanks for everyones comments.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbryant1 View Post
    Update: I checked the batteries last night, they were all 12.63. So that easy fix is out the door. I'll update again after i get the new plugs in, and test her out this weekend on the water. Thanks for everyones comments.
    You need to have your cranking battery load tested.

20. Member
    ^^^True^^^ 12.6 volts doesn't mean good battery.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast