Thread: Water intake

Water intake

regions bank near meclosest shell gas station to my location Do they make a water hose adapter that will hook to the nose of the foot? Also can I just run water hose straight to the other thing? Dont know what it's called but I would think that's bypassing my impeller water pump which I've always been told not to do. Thanks for any help

2. Member
    Following the threaded water hose lookn deal under the cawling an looks like it goes nowhere.... any way to crank this thing n the yard on a hose without cutting a 55 drum n half??? Lol. Thanks again

3. Member
    I'll try to help with my story. I have a 250 sho and it has the threaded hose "washout" fitting like your picture and the lower water intakes much as your picture. Don't know if your engine is a sho or not. Anyway, when I purchased by boat (used) the dealer started it up for me and the only water they had was by threading the right side female fitting in your picture to a water hose. I think this is supposed to just be used to flush the engine and not run the engine but the dealer did, although they only let the engine idle and not for long. I recently serviced my engine with oil, filters, lower lube and wanted to check the water pump operation. This is where you need to heed my advice and not do what I did. Due to the angle of the lower water intake on our engines the normal water muffs that are used for say Mercs won't seal. Yamaha makes an expensive muff but I had heard that they don't work too well and I'm cheap. I had a rubbermaid storage container that I filled with water that brought the water over the lower intakes. I thought this would work and started my engine. It ran for a minute or so and the overheat alarm sounded. I cut it off. I found out that the water pump is NOT self priming and you have to have the water level over the cavitation plate. I melted my water pump impeller and damaged the water pump housing. I ordered the water pump repair kit along with a new housing from simyamaha and I installed it all on Saturday. I'm slow and take my time so it took me about 4 hours but I know it is done right. Bottom line is if you want to run in in your yard / driveway get a stock water tank from a feed and seed supply store like tractor supply. Make sure the water level is well over the cavitation plate. Good luck!

^^^^^^^^^^^exactly. The water connection at the lower cowling is to flush the corrosives ( salt, brackish water, etc) & with the motor not running. That is all it is for, nothing else. Don't use it to check your motor or you'll be doing what ChooChoo & others had to do. Some will tell you it's ok, just don't run it long. The Yamaha manual will tell you not to do used it also. I use a aluminum water trough/barrel only. These water barrel are expensive but have someone pull your lower unit, replace the complete water pump, reinstall the lower, well you get the idea. That's not cheap either. BTW, still trying to figure out the regions bank & shell service station thing, lol.

5. Member
    Thank you cho cho an tracer. Regions bank an shell stations...lol.. who knows how that happened? New to this site an posting pics I guess. Once again thanks for input. Motor is actually a new to me 04 hpdi 250. I'm assuming the foot is an aftermarket? Really dont know. Luckily I have a few extra horse water troffs around