Thread: Actuator

Actuator

2017 Ranger Trailer. I realize that upon acceleration from a standstill, there will be a bump. Mine is very pronounced! It's driving me nuts! Is it possible that air in the system would cause this? Any information is very much appreciated!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I would bleed the system it helped on mine.

gdi

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Could be. Also check pins and bolts on the hitch and tongue for looseness.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Scraps
    I struggled with mine. After getting the system bled well it still clunked. The only thing I could think of was that my initial 8hr drive home. I didn't find out what drop hitch I would need so used my old one and the trailer was high. My theory is that the drive home may have beaten up the actuator. I also was not getting really good rotor wear which made me think something might be sticking in the actuator assembly.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    on mine i can not do jack rabbit starts or it will make some noise but i think it's normal,i just take off easier after a stop and no problems,(it was worse before i bled it) but even after bleeding if i take off to fast it will make some noise

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    on mine i can not do jack rabbit starts or it will make some noise but i think it's normal,i just take off easier after a stop and no problems,(it was worse before i bled it) but even after bleeding if i take off to fast it will make some noise
    I don't believe it's possible to feather it anymore than I'm already doing! I can't imagine the noise it would make with a jackrabbit start!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Could be. Also check pins and bolts on the hitch and tongue for looseness.
    THIS^^^. Over time, my receiver pin wore the hole in the receiver from round to egg shaped. The result was a CLUNK every time I stopped or pulled away from a stop.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    THIS^^^. Over time, my receiver pin wore the hole in the receiver from round to egg shaped. The result was a CLUNK every time I stopped or pulled away from a stop.
    What did you do about it?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    At the least you can replace the pins. They can be a m'f'r to get. Need a pair of snap ring pliers. If you're gonna do all this, and if you can eliminate the trailer running gear - calipers, as an issue, maybe be the simplest thing to just replace the entire actuator assembly. Or, try the damper shock. Doing it a piece at a time means drain, disassemble, reassemble, fill and bleed, repeat. A real PITA to repeat the cycle.
    2017 Phoenix 819

10. Member
    If it clunks, the brakes might not be working at all. Disconnect the wiring and try to back up. It may have air in the system.

11. Member
    Definitely considering replacing it!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I bought a new receiver. A friend had the same problem and he drove metal shims along the side of his receiver to "lock" it in place. That works, too, assuming that you won't need to get the receiver out anytime soon...or ever!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I bought a new receiver. A friend had the same problem and he drove metal shims along the side of his receiver to "lock" it in place. That works, too, assuming that you won't need to get the receiver out anytime soon...or ever!
    If it is the receiver I drilled and tapped a 5/16 hole in the side of mine, put a bolt through it to press on the ball mount and lock-nutted it. That way you can, and I have, remove it later.

14. Scraps
    I wonder if you could take that to a good welding shop, have them fill in the two holes, and then redrill to the stock diameter.

I haven't been out enough to notice, but mine clunked with a 5.25in drop hitch. Now I have a 3.25in drop. I'm thinking the bigger drop no doubt clunked more. Just not sure if it was the receiver or the actuator.
    2017 Phoenix 819

15. Member
    Mine would do same. I just replaced my actuator instead of piece meal it.
    By the time You get the shock, pins etc it is gonna cost more in the end. Not to mention you could be fixing worn parts least twice a season.
    Just my two cents.