Hook Keeper Placement

Where do most of you guys who build put your hook keepers? I don't put keepers on my personal rods but a lot of guys want them and I started using the ALPS and Kigan keepers instead of the standard ones maybe a couple years ago. I put them about 3.5" from the front of the reel seat, used to put them on the top but some said that the line would get caught so I started putting them on the side...same thing in some cases. Think the bottom is a better bet?

I like the ALPS and Kigan style but I'm thinking about going back to the standard ones. Never had this problem with them.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

i ask my customers, myself i put them on the bottom as close to the reelseat as i can with out having to touch them while fishing

4. Member
    https://www.mudhole.com/American-Tac...ok-Keepers-HKD

Hook keepers are truly a pain, but I can't handle hook on a guide. I've settled into these lately. They help with the line sticking problem. On a casting rod, I put it on top just above my index finger on the top side. I use Curado 70's which are super low profile and never have an issue.

Spinning rods I put them on top as well, which eliminates the line contact all together.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    https://www.mudhole.com/American-Tac...ok-Keepers-HKD

Hook keepers are truly a pain, but I can't handle hook on a guide. I've settled into these lately. They help with the line sticking problem. On a casting rod, I put it on top just above my index finger on the top side. I use Curado 70's which are super low profile and never have an issue.

Spinning rods I put them on top as well, which eliminates the line contact all together.
    How big are the "large" ones? In comparison to say the Kigans or ALPS. It looks like a Kigan that you can wrap from both sides.

6. Member
    I've used the Kigan ones and the "Small" size of the one I posted is pretty comparable. Never seen a large one, so I can't compare.

The old style loops work great and eliminate the problem, but I drop shot a ton and clipping a weight in those isn't an option. These work well for multiple applications, so I stick with it.

7. Member
    I use the dropshot style. I just took the old style off three rods for a member here and put the drop shot keepers on for him. He wanted them on the top which is where i place my own. Some guys want them on the bottom and some on the side so if i'm building or replacing for someone else, they go where they choose.

Been using those Alps and Kigens myself and have been putting them on the bottom.

I have put them left right top and the bottom. For my personal ones I like em on the bottom.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

American Tackle drop shot style linked above under the reel seat if it's a split grip. As out of the way as I can possibly get them on the side if it's not a split grip.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. Member
    I drill a hole in the trigger of that reel seat on casting rods

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I use the dropshot style. I just took the old style off three rods for a member here and put the drop shot keepers on for him. He wanted them on the top which is where i place my own. Some guys want them on the bottom and some on the side so if i'm building or replacing for someone else, they go where they choose.
    I also use a dropshot style keeper and put in on top of the rod a few inches in front of the reel seat. The line will rarely get around the keeper, but it does happen. But, it seems to happen a whole lot less with the keeper on top than on the sides or bottom of the blank.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

The Kigan XLA keeper is patented. Croix had Kigan make one that was secured on both ends, patented as well. Both got knocked off by an "American" company who makes everything in China. I've said my peace there. I've also said it personally to the people who did the knocking off.

Move it a little closer to the reel seat and it helps a lot.

The main issue with any style open hookkeeper - ALPS or Kigan XLA - is when guys palm the reel and hold the line under a finger along the blank. They are putting it right in line with the keeper - almost feeding it into the keeper (if that makes sense).

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    The Kigan XLA keeper is patented. Croix had Kigan make one that was secured on both ends, patented as well. Both got knocked off by an "American" company who makes everything in China. I've said my peace there. I've also said it personally to the people who did the knocking off.

Move it a little closer to the reel seat and it helps a lot.

The main issue with any style open hookkeeper - ALPS or Kigan XLA - is when guys palm the reel and hold the line under a finger along the blank. They are putting it right in line with the keeper - almost feeding it into the keeper (if that makes sense).
    Late reply on this, but I wanted to make sure to respond: I had no idea that the style I referred to above was knocked off. I'll be buying them from the original source in the future. Apologies for that, sir!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

15. Member
    On split grip rods, I like my hook keeper in the lower end of the split. That way baits don't get hung up in the rod glove.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    On split grip rods, I like my hook keeper in the lower end of the split. That way baits don't get hung up in the rod glove.
    Works great on drop shot in that position too.

17. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:21 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    This is my preference.