Blowing out getting on plane

I have a 20 XD with a 250 Optimax. My torquemaster went out 2 weeks ago and I bought a 1.62 sportmaster to replace it. I have a 27p Trophy prop on it which is the same one I have with the TM lower. I got the boat back and was out on it Friday. I had a half tank of fuel. Full livewells and 3 people in the boat and it was hell getting it on plane. When I let 1 guy out to go get the truck me and my buddy went down the lake. It was much better getting on plane but before I couldn't even feather it. I had to hold it wide open and whenever I would try to feather it it would start falling back in the hole. I have vented plugs in all of the holes but 1. What do I need to start with to try to figure this out.
    2020 Caymas CX20

2. Member
    I have a 20XD with 250 XS and 1.62:1 gears also. One of the sharpest Bullet guys around (Lawrenceburg Marine) set mine up as follows.
    2 deg shims to give a little more tuck on take off. Bravo 28. 1-3/8" above pad. To top it off add a Baily Bullet foil. You will like this set up.

3. Member
    Can't comment on the Bullet, but blowout is helped by closing vents. If you have large vents in 2, and none in the 3rd, then I'd go to medium plugs in all three and work from there.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

4. Hagen
    I run this same setup, 20xd 12" 2 degree wedges, cb foil 250xs 1.62 sportmaster.

If you aren't to far from Dayton holler at me sometime and you can ride in mine to get an idea of how it performs or I have 5 or so props you are more than welcome to come run, only have 1 28 bravo for sale right now but that will give you an idea.
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

5. Member
    There you go. Going to the Sporty you will have to live with a little more slip on the break over. You will like the extra speed the sporty gives when run at the proper height.

6. Member
    Foil took nearly all of the slip out of mine and it slipped bad.

7. Member
    I personally wouldn’t run a 20xd/3L without a foil. It’s huge the difference.

Im running a 2 deg negative trim wedge also. The wedge isn’t a big difference. Just slightly better.

The bravo 1 is fine if you just want holeshot. A hydromotocr qiv x ob will do everything else better and still hole shot amazing

8. Member
    JMO, with that much weight, inc. 3 adults, you'll never be happy with your holeshot without running a prop with less pitch!
    Foil and Wedges will help a little but it'll still be a dog.
    When I have 2 clients for a day of fishing I ALWAYS put on my 23 ProMax with vents closed....other times I run a 28!!!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe