Pourable transom compound's vs traditional fiberglass/ wood

Who's done it? If you have, would you use it again? Pro's and con's ?
    Transom and stringers?
    Seacast, carbon-core, others ?
    I'm contemplating using it. Looking for advice.

2. Member
    I think it depends on your boat and what you’re working with. I’ve done a full cap off transom and stringer floor and foam the works.
    some boats were all hand layed some were sprayed. From my experience, a chopper gun boat, all the wood is basically one continuous structure, so if it rotted on one end, it’s probably the same one the other. some boats can be separated easily some not so much. Is it a boat you plan on keeping a long time? Or is this a get by a few seasons?
    to me, A poured transom will be really strong transom with possibly nothing supporting it.

3. Member
    I have used pourable transom with mixed results, mostly used it to fill rotted out bracing to a transom. I cut the top of the brace off, used a small electric chain saw to clean out what rotten wood that I could, then fabricated a long hooked scraper for detail work cleaning out any other wood. It is very thick so it does not just settle into every nook & cranny. A aluminum rectangle funnel was fabricated with a 1/2" opening so I could pour into the voids I created. I used wooden dowels to pump the air to the top. You can see from my posts on my Champion the rotted wood must be removed so the laminations get full purchase to the substrate. I would never use it for a customers boat or in a transom of my own vessel. I bought a 5 gal bucket of it and it went bad in the pail before I used it all. The Coosa material I use seems to be "Bullet Proof" when laid up properly.

4. Member
    Well I just did epoxy and wood in my fish hawk, I should be able to get another 20 years out of that, since the original material was just pressure treat style.

5. Member
    HVAC86 - How long do I plan on keeping the boat? At the moment, a good question. I started out wanting a project boat, bought this one for $50. Whichever route I go, I plan on taking the cap off. Redoing transom and stringers.

rojoguio - Did you contact who you purchased the bucket from, when you opened it and noticed it was already set up? If I can ask, who did you buy it from/what brand was it?

218 fishing - I might go that route, still undecided.

Thank you all for your replies.

6. Member
    It just got old. I didn't want to use it on any customers jobs. All the resin based stuff has a shelf life. If you have a problem and have to warranty the work you really loose money. Using something you have confidence in is huge. I buy all my plastic supplies from Advance Plastics in New Orleans, their materials and supplies are always fresh. They stock almost everything I use. Great to deal with too.

7. Member
    Rojoguio - Thank You! I'll check advance plastics, see what I find. You're 100% correct in "what you have confidence in".
    I never thought about warranty on the pourable types.

8. Member
    I warrant all my work. I want to know what I put into the job.

9. Member
    I saw a half assed dealership job. they hogged out a bit of wood and then dumped resin in it to fill the void. The resin by it's self got so freaking hot you could see sag lines in the original gel coat. it was so hot you could cook a steak on it, well done. Seacast gets warm, but not hot like resin would get.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR