You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix

Battery Question

I have a 2018 Triton 179 TRX boat came with Interstate batteries. I have had an issue twice where my outboard wont turn over (115 Mercury 4 stroke with Command Thrust) motor has been starting and running fine all day on both occasions. I have 2 7" Lowrance units on the boat and do use my livewells and pumps alot fishing tourneys. In both instances when I jumped the the cranking battery starts up and runs and starts all day fine.... my cranking battery is the 27xhd Interstate with 800 CA and 1000 MCA. As I said this has only happened 2 times. anyone else experience anything like this? Im wondering if I need a bigger cranking battery? I love the boat and the Merc so far just wondering what this could be coming from. Also lastly if I were to to get this checked out would it be something to take to a certified Merc dealer in my area or is it a boat issue to take back to the Triton dealer. Thanks in advance.
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

2. Member
    Are you re-charging the start battery immediately after returning from every outing?

3. Member
    Check out the mercury forum, at the top frequently asked questions, there’s a list of batteries that have been tested by mercury and meet the requirements, after the 3rd interstate I got under warranty, I gave up on interstate and bought an oddesy, no problems sence, also check out the nocco gb 40 , just in case

4. Member
    got a '16 179trx with the same "stock" batteries....have 2 7's on board, also....maybe you should look at a 3 bank charger....???

5. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    Vin059 I actually checked the cranking battery today with my charger I used with my old boat. It was low.... only showing 26% charged. I dont make too many long runs so I doubt my alternator on the Merc is getting much time to recharge it. From now on I will charge cranking battery as well after each trip. I appreciate the info guys.
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

Quote Originally Posted by rixfishin View Post
    Vin059 I actually checked the cranking battery today with my charger I used with my old boat. It was low.... only showing 26% charged. I dont make too many long runs so I doubt my alternator on the Merc is getting much time to recharge it. From now on I will charge cranking battery as well after each trip. I appreciate the info guys.