Oil bath or not?

Getting a new trailer and trying to make a wise choice. Have oil bath now on my 15 year old trailer and no problems but still trying to decide.

What's the alternative to oil bath? If it were me, I'd go with greased hubs and never look back. I had Ranger COOL Hubs leave me on the side of the road twice, once when the boat was only months old. Greased hubs...properly maintained, but not over-greased, are about as bullet proof as it gets.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 05-13-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    I don't think there is a wrong decision. I ran bearing buddies for about 15 years. Then had another trailer for 10 years with the zerk in axle grease fittings. Been running oil bath for the last 13 years. Knock on wood, I have not had a major, or minor on road problem with any of them. As with anything, a little preventive maintenance goes a long way.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. Member
    +1 on grease hubs. my stratos trailer had oil hubs. Switched to grease and no issues..

5. mikesxpress
    Most oil bath hub issues are self induced. Greased hubs have been around since Henry Ford days. Pick one.

6. Member
    Ive had them all. The oil bath ones seem to leak.
    Vault system , dont touch it for 10 years.