919 loading on steep ramps

I got my 919 2 months ago and and several times when loading, the bow(sometimes TM guide ramp)are below the bow roller on trailer. If i dont back trailer in as deep the winch dosen't have power to pull boat up. I'm thinking about building a bracket to hold another bow roller above the front of the spare tire to lift the bow a little. Any ideas on how to make loading on steep ramps easier?

2. Scraps
    I'm not sure I understand. I have, once, gotten it wrong and put the boats bow eye in front of the bow roller. That was bad and a real PITA to fix. I remember that.

I can say, I've had more issues learning how to consistently get this boat on the trailer and seem to have to winch more than any other boat I've owned. I also put GatorBaks on and I think they are less slick than carpeted bunks. So I don't thin you're alone here.

I wouldn't add anything to the trailer, ever. Mess around with you're loading before doing anything. I haven't used many steep ramps, but with all the winching I upgraded to a two-speed Fulton winch to make it easier when I do have to winch. On really steep ramps you may have no choice but to winch if the mismatch in height between eye and roller leaves the boat way back on the bunks.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

On steep ramps I don't back the trailer in as deep. The I drive up a just behind the bow roller. Then have my buddy in the truck slowly back down as I throttle up slowly.
    Or if by myself, I start the same, leave it in gear, and winch it up tight to the roller.
    I think if you raise the roller at the spare tire, you'll be too high when you reach the bow roller.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    On steep ramps I don't back the trailer in as deep. The I drive up a just behind the bow roller. Then have my buddy in the truck slowly back down as I throttle up slowly.
    Or if by myself, I start the same, leave it in gear, and winch it up tight to the roller.
    I think if you raise the roller at the spare tire, you'll be too high when you reach the bow roller.
    Same thing I do.

Gatorbaks or power load.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    Gatorbaks or power load.
    I don't think so. Because on a steeper ramp the transom is still floating high, pushing the bow too low to clear the bow roller.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

7. Member
    if you back in too far ‘ on a steep ramp “ the whole boat is higher than it should be !, that’s why the bow eye rides over the roller in the 1st place !....��

8. Member
    less trailer in the water. Get nose over roller, then back in another 6 inches and finish cranking up. When guys talk about steep ramps I envision some of the very long and steep ramps around Kentucky but this may or may not be steep. all about pitch on the ramp at time of launch. Got a ramp in FLA that under low water situations is 'steep'. Since ramp does not appear steep, I had to load 3 times to get it right. less trailer in.

I have gatorbacks. Have to power load a little on steep ramps. no other choice.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

9. Member
    Almost every ramp I use is very steep, especially in the winter during drawdowns. I always back mine in far enough to wet the bunks then pull forward until the steps in front of the fenders are halfway submerged. I too find myself backing it in further when fishing alone to prevent having to get out and move the truck. I've only jumped over the bow roller once, but it wasn't hard to push it back behind it.

My Bass Cat didn't have this issue, but my Triton and Nitro did on these same ramps. I don't think it is all that uncommon for bass boat trailers, depending on the keel geometry and/or how well the trailer is matched to the hull.
    2015 Phoenix 819

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    I don't think so. Because on a steeper ramp the transom is still floating high, pushing the bow too low to clear the bow roller.
    Not getting into this debate again.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Dunk the whole trailer to get the bunks good and wet, pull the trailer up to where half of the top surface of the fenders are submerged. This will allow the front bunks to guide the nose up and above the roller. Once you run up onto the trailer, a little pump on the gas pedal will bring the eye up against the roller, leave it in gear to hold it up against the roller while you hook it up and tighten the winch.

On a really steep ramp, you may have to back the truck up 6 inches to a foot, once you get the boat up onto the trailer, in order to get enough bouyancy to allow you to run eye on up to the roller. As long as you completely soak the front bunks you won’t have a problem loading her on up to the roller.

If the nose is coming in under the roller, you have the trailer way too deep. Pull the trailer forward to where the front bunks are high enough to guide the nose up and over the roller.
    2018 Phoenix 919 Pro XP, 225 Pro XS

Ultrex 112#, Helix 10s, NightFishion HD-8

”Midnight Special”

12. Member
    This is exactly what I have done for steep ramps with my Phoenix and R boats.

13. Member
    A long time ago I was doing this with a triton and hurried up to the bow to hook it and when I laid down to reach around and hook it my left hand was by the TM prop, right hand doing the hook, my body hit the trolling motor pedal, prop spun and sliced my finger open, trip to ER

14. Member
    The steeper the ramp the less forgiving the trailer is as far as trailer depth. I sprayed liquid roller on the FRONT THIRD of my bunks and now it is much more forgiving on the depth of the trailer especially on steep ramps. The boat will come off without over revving a cold engine and go on the trailer at a shallower depth which prevents the bow from going under the roller and it powerloads easier even at a shallower trailer depth.

The negative. If you like to unhook or hook your strap at the top of the ramp DONT DO THIS. Your boat could slide off on to the ramp. It’s that slick. Also the first time you use it and you back in the same depth as you have before be prepared to jump in the boat after unhooking because the boat will leave. I was expecting the boat to slide back away from the roller when loading and require winching but that has not been a problem at the depths I am using.

This is is not for everybody but I fish a lot by myself and it has made loading and unloading much easier.