Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help setting up 2004 21XD

Hey guys, I've been lurking the bullet forums since I bought my 21XD last spring. I have been super happy with the ride, very dry and a great rough water boat. I have run Tritons, skeeters, rangers, javelin you name it I have probably been behind the wheel and I gotta say this one takes the cake. The only thing I was somewhat disappointed with was the top end speed, 73 MPH loaded to fish with two people. I am running the boat east of Toronto, in Canada. Freshwater of course. This speed doesn't change much whether gas tank is full, half full, livewells full etc. It runs very consistent. The holeshot is blazing fast, and mid range is very punchy. No issues there.

Current setup

2006 225 Evinrude E-Tec H.O, WOT RPM reading about 5600

28 Pitch Bravo 1 probably 7/10 condition (few knicks but nothing major)

Prop shaft is 1-1/4 below the pad. I need to get the water gauge fixed before I go crazy jacking it up, and the jack plate doesn't have room to go up because of the power pole bracket, I could however make a rather large jump (3/4 to 1-1/2) by re mounting the motor and go down from there if needed.

Anyways I do not have a spare prop right now so I am going to purchase something here that will hopefully outperform the 28 bravo 1, and keep the bravo for a spare. Is the 73 MPH pretty good for this rig for a fishing setup? or should I expect more with the right prop?

I would appreciate any advice from the bullet experts here
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    You are not going to have many examples with Evinrude for comparison, but you do have a 22' boat with a 225.

I have a 21xdc with a 250xs and my opinion is in order

1- get working water pressure gauge
    2- raise motor 1 hole and start at 3/4-1" below pad
    3- You say the 28 is turning 5600? What is the motor max rpm rating? If you have some to spare, you may want to either go down a pitch or send bravo off for some balance and adjustment. Many of those bravo's need some balancing anyway.

Depending on how much tackle you have and with the 2 power poles, my guess is your best case scenario is 78-79 light for speed and normal day of fishing 76.
    '

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply, I'll get working on the water gauge right away. I am told 5800 rpm is the sweet spot on this engine but I believe the limiter is 6200. I would definitely be more than happy with 76 on tournament day. Is there a comparable prop that would handle well but typically run higher rpm on this hull? I don't see many bullets listed with 3 blade props I am guessing 4 blade is the consensus way to go

4. Member
    26/27 bravo xs. the bravo is a great prop for a bullet, but I have no idea what an Evinrude likes or dislikes honestly. hopefully somebody will chime in with some experience

5. Member
    Fair enough, from what ive read the bravo xs turns higher rpm than the comparable bravo 1 so that's an interesting option for sure

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    You are not going to have many examples with Evinrude for comparison, but you do have a 22' boat with a 225.

I have a 21xdc with a 250xs and my opinion is in order

1- get working water pressure gauge
    2- raise motor 1 hole and start at 3/4-1" below pad
    3- You say the 28 is turning 5600? What is the motor max rpm rating? If you have some to spare, you may want to either go down a pitch or send bravo off for some balance and adjustment. Many of those bravo's need some balancing anyway.

Depending on how much tackle you have and with the 2 power poles, my guess is your best case scenario is 78-79 light for speed and normal day of fishing 76.
    '
    The only possible thing I might disagree with is the 78-79 light. It would have to be super light as in one person, no tackle, fishing seats removed and 10 gallons of gas on a cold day. I too think 73 per your load is excellent with your set up.

7. Member
    When I read the manufacturer recommendations on the Bravo XS they say to go up 2 pitches to replace the Bravo 1 which is currently on the boat, would I not in theory gain rpms going up to a 29 pitch bravo XS and add speed due to the pitch increase? Or are those recommendations not accurate

8. Member
    If the mfg is correct going to a 29 is only one inch increase. You might gain a few RPM's but it appears you would need to go to a 30 to equal the 28 you have now. Honestly I do not think any prop is going to help much. Depending on the amount of prop damage you might get a little help with new or repaired existing prop. You don't say what your max RPM is for that motor but 5600 sounds a little low. Bottom line is, your speed is pretty good for a 21 foot boat with a 225 on it. If you need the speed sell the E-tec and purchase a 300XS or a new 300R. Either should be good for 90+, just saying.
    Also, I will add the power poles are robbing you of quite a few MPH's.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    If the mfg is correct going to a 29 is only one inch increase. You might gain a few RPM's but it appears you would need to go to a 30 to equal the 28 you have now. Honestly I do not think any prop is going to help much. Depending on the amount of prop damage you might get a little help with new or repaired existing prop. You don't say what your max RPM is for that motor but 5600 sounds a little low. Bottom line is, your speed is pretty good for a 21 foot boat with a 225 on it. If you need the speed sell the E-tec and purchase a 300XS or a new 300R. Either should be good for 90+, just saying.
    Also, I will add the power poles are robbing you of quite a few MPH's.
    Right, the motor can spin 6000 no problem. 5800 being ideal. The power poles believe it or not didn't slow the boat down noticeably at all. Probably went from 74 to 73 and change. The poles just went on last weekend, ran the boat last year about the same performance without. I'll run this motor as long as I can since it only has 240 hours on it. I can live with 73 if thats all it wants to push.

10. Member
    The only possible thing I might disagree with is the 78-79 light. It would have to be super light as in one person, no tackle, fishing seats removed and 10 gallons of gas on a cold day. I too think 73 per your load is excellent with your set up.
    I agree and did mean best case scenario with a lot of time, research, experimenting, $$ and probably luck. I have heard of multiple 225 mercs getting in high 70's. Have no idea to expect less or more from his engine. But I would expect an increase of 3 mph just by raising motor a bit and cleaning that prop or trying others. That puts him at 76.

11. Member
    A 225 anything pushing a 21 foot Bullet with fishing loads and power poles in the high 70's? Heard maybe, seen it?
    Not saying the op is wrong but 1 mph loss with power poles, really? My 20 XD with 250XS will give up 2-3 mph at least with the addition of a typical passenger (200 pounds)
    Honestly if the OP is giving us GPS numbers I would not touch a thing, maybe send prop to prop shop for a rebuild, MAYBE.

12. Member
    Yeah I don’t know what to tell ya but the poles changed it about 1mph, didn’t affect hole shot at all. They are only 8 footers and ported holes to lighten the poles, I was fully aware expecting to go a bit slower but I’ll take it. These are garmin gps numbers. I am buying a prop either way cause I don’t have a spare. I might as well shoot for more performance in a new prop if I can and use this bravo one as is for the back up. But if I end up around 73 with the new prop that’s still fine, ideally I’d like to get the Rpm’s up a little without losing speed. Getting past the mid 70s point would be fantastic if possible though.

13. Member
    Based on what you reported the mfg said going up to a 29 while changing to the XS(if I am understanding you) should be a little looser than your current 28, Bravo I. This should give you a little more RPM. In very broad terms, one inch of pitch will change the RPM from 150 - 200. Of course turning a lower pitch prop a few more RPM will not make much difference. None of us here have much if any experience with a 225 anything on a 21 foot Bullet and even less when it is an E-tec. I still think your numbers are quite good considering. Best of luck!

14. Member
    Fair enough, the feedback is already appreciated. I’ll have to make the best guess at a second prop and hope for the best, I’ll install a water psi gauge here too and get the motor up some
    more. I’ll post any progress if anybody is interested

15. Member
    Get the water pressure gauge . Raise the motor till it shows 13 - 15 running down the lake.
    Do not run if lower than 10 psi and stay away from 3 bladed props. The 3 bladed props
    will drop the front of the boat at high RPM range. I have run with 21xd/Evinrude 250 and they did
    put up a good hole shot and mid range numbers, but not ideal on top end.Gears in the
    lower unit was the reason why.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex1 View Post
    Get the water pressure gauge . Raise the motor till it shows 13 - 15 running down the lake.
    Do not run if lower than 10 psi and stay away from 3 bladed props. The 3 bladed props
    will drop the front of the boat at high RPM range. I have run with 21xd/Evinrude 250 and they did
    put up a good hole shot and mid range numbers, but not ideal on top end.Gears in the
    lower unit was the reason why.
    Sounds good, I will be installing the gauge today. I blew out the lines last night cleared all the gunk, but the gauge itself was definitely no good. I'll make the swap and see how it goes. I am curious what your best top end was?

17. Member
    So went out today about 1/4 inch higher on the jackplate, the absolute highest i can go now before going down a hole on the motor. It was super windy so it was hard to punch it for long but I definitely saw 73 mph again and it might have kept climbing if was driving under better conditions, too rough to hold it

Water pressure was at 14lbs WOT and 10 lbs mid range, I may have understated the RPMS before because this trip I was 100% reaching 5900 RPM and I can't imagine 1/4 inch on a jack plate would increase the rpms from 5600-5900 so perhaps I was closer to 5700+ before.

I am now leaning towards a 30 pitch bravo XS since I have lots of RPM on the bravo 1. I hope this weekend brings some better testing weather
    Last edited by jmahaney; 05-13-2019 at 05:01 PM.

18. Member
    If you can run a Bullet 73 in 2 foot waves would you consider coming to Alabama for a week and give driving lessons?

19. Member
    I dunno man it was rough, rough enough i wasn't holding it.

If you can run a Bullet 73 in 2 foot waves would you consider coming to Alabama for a week and give driving lessons?
    No doubt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast