Water separater filter recommended?

I have a boat on order with a 2019 Mercury Pro XS 4-stroke 115 coming in soon I hope.

On my old 2005 4-stroke 60, it wasn't recommended but I still had one for peace of mind. Now that I'll have a warranty, I don't want the filter to cause any issues.

I was thinking of a Moeller assembly again. Or is there one already under the cowling?

Engine # 2B672959
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 05-17-2019 at 03:17 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    I have a boat on order with a 2019 Mercury Pro XS 4-stroke 115 coming in soon I hope.

On my old 2005 4-stroke 60, it wasn't recommended but I still had one for peace of mind. Now that I'll have a warranty, I don't want the filter to cause any issues.

I was thinking of a Moeller assembly again. Or is there one already under the cowling?
    Free pass on the serial number this time since it's "coming in".

Mercury DOES recommend an External Filter Kit for the 115 Fourstroke- it's a Racor with Water-in-Fuel Warning and harness.

Normally if the boat and engine were ordered together it would come rigged as recommended- but it's good you're not "assuming" that it will be.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Free pass on the serial number this time since it's "coming in".

Mercury DOES recommend an External Filter Kit for the 115 Fourstroke- it's a Racor with Water-in-Fuel Warning and harness.

Normally if the boat and engine were ordered together it would come rigged as recommended- but it's good you're not "assuming" that it will be.

I just got my email. It's in transport and should be here in a few day. Dealer provided serial numbers. Updating original post to comply with rules, lol.

Curious about recommended Racor kit.

The boat and motor are rigged at the factory, Vexus. I haven't seen any evidence of them adding the water separater. I'll look for 1 when I pick it up.

Does it look like your standard w/s assembly? Is there a specific one manufacturers are suppose to use?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The best recommendation would be Part# 8M0109543, which is a complete kit and looks like this when unboxed:

Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor