No Water thru tell tale.

2005 Mercury 225 Optimax. Let me give you the whole spill. I was streaming along (52 mph) and hit a floating log (no Ins.). Lost my lower unit and some of my mid section. After a month of finding used parts I was able to put this thing back together. I bought a new SEI lower unit. They come complete with new water pumps. I launched my boat and idled for 10-15 min. My Alarm went off and I looked back to see if it was peeing. It was not. I turned around and put it back on the trailer and took it home. I dropped the lower unit pulled the water pump impeller out and everything looks good. I put it back together and I have been using the muffs to run water thru it. These muff are not solid and have some leaking so I press them tight on the open holes. My LU has the low water pick up. I have dropped this LU several times today and can't find a problem. When I initially put the lower unit on. I put the Black reducer seal that came with the lower unit on the tube coming down from the top of the mid section (I didn't just put it on top of the water pump). All this time I thought that maybe there was a gap and the water was escaping. I dropped the lower unit again and this time put the seal on the top of the water pump before installing the lower unit. It did not change anything. It is still not peeing. I have water coming out of the prop with the exhaust and water coming out of the casting just above the 2 anodes. I'm at a loss for what to do next. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Could it just be that I'm not getting enough water from my hose and muffs?

Thanks in Advance
    <"(((((((>< Quit Wishing and go Fishing. ><)))))))">

2. Member
    Did you tape off the low water pickup?
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

No I sure didn't. I tried to hold my hand over it but that didn't work.

4. Member
    Not "peeing" is an indication of a plugged compressor strainer. Did you ever service this?

Click on this >>> Cleaning your cooling water strainer screen on 250 Pro XS

I will check this. All the strainers in the exhaust housing and midsection were clean.

6. Member
    Last year I Had the same problem with my 2006 225 Optimax, no pee stream and overheating. It was a bad water pump.

I'm no expert on installing water pumps, but I recall that the impeller rubber fins have to be rotated/aligned so that they are facing in the correct direction... install_imp.jpg

I run my 225 with low water pickup on muffs. Sometimes I tape off the low water pickup with duct tape, sometimes no tape. It has a pee stream both ways.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

I'm thinking that since this is an SEI LU, that it has sat for a while after being put together and the fins on the impeller are already bent in the correct direction. I have taken it out and flipped it over and still nothing. I'm thinking a new impeller might help.

8. Member
    Have you taken off the hose to the plastic piece where the water comes out and check to make sure the plastic piece is not clogged? I had trash/mud in the plastic piece where the water comes out.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

9. Moderator
    I had the same issue a few years ago and it ended up being a small snail shell trapped in the pisser port itself. Take a paperclip and make sure the hole is clear of debris and check the compressor strainer.

10. Member
    make sure the copper tube did not get bent and not seating correctly had it happen on my efi once.

11. Member
    I sucked up mud and sand once and the hose got clogged. Mechanic used a small wire and put it in the tube. Took several attempts before the stuff broke loose and back to normal. I thought the worst but simple fix.

I finally figured out what the problem was after removing the power head and adapter plate for the 3rd time. I did not bolt the inner exhaust tube to the adapter plate before installing them. I left 6 bolts out that held the adapter plate and the exhaust tube together. assemble the 2 together and the motor peed all over the place.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sumterbasser View Post
    I finally figured out what the problem was after removing the power head and adapter plate for the 3rd time. I did not bolt the inner exhaust tube to the adapter plate before installing them. I left 6 bolts out that held the adapter plate and the exhaust tube together. assemble the 2 together and the motor peed all over the place.
    "Left six bolts out", that was a lesson learned.

14. Member
    I am taking mine apart tomorrow, have serious water questions to answer
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

15. Member
    After doing mine, I think tuner would be rattling around without them
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sumterbasser View Post
    baaaaaaahaaaaaaa now ya know why they were there
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................