Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solix 10 G1 - Graph/Sonar Freezing

I recently purchased a new solix 10 G1 to run on my console and am having issues with the SI/DI/Sonar freezing while I stop to fish. If it freezes the only way to get it working is to shut down and start up again. If I turn the sonar/transducer off while stopping to fish and turn it on again it works fine(without the reboot) but this is a bit annoying to have to do. What can I do to fix this issue? Is it an update needed, power supply issue? Thanks for any advice!

DTS

First things first .... what does the voltage display on your unit without the main motor running?
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Do you mean to say it does it when you shut off the big motor?

If so I would say you have a spike or big drop in voltage that freaks it out

Bob is right you need to know what the voltage does

Put a volt meter on the battery and watch it when you shut off the motor

My 10” will freeze up once or twice a trip out

12” might do it once every 4 or 5 trips

Mine does it randomly but I found if you go to views and select a view with charts only let the maps loads then go back to the sonar view you want it tends to fix it (not always)
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    I will watch the voltage next time out, I’m going to get thicker wiring and see if that doesn’t help. I tried the screen switch, and switching screens with the transducer off and the turning it back on and neither worked. Frustrating to say the least after dropping $1700 on a gps and it won’t run as efficiently as my 999...

5. Member
    Mine does same thing, I am on my 3rd unit that humminbird has replaced. Very annoying. I have 8 gauge directly from unit to 2 31 series that are parallel. I gave up and I am currently just having to reboot when it does it. I try to clear my tracks at the start of the day and I removed 2,200 waypoints to try to save space. This seemed to help a little. The old core units were bulletproof and the new ones seem to have all kinds of bugs unfortunately

6. Member
    Re reading I saw series and thought 24 volts but then noticed parralell. Poor connections can even get good supply to give poor results.So you are saying your electronics are hooked to the same batteries as your trolling motor? If so that is your problem. Noise problems can give similar results. 3 different units limits the possibility of the units being the problem. Hook it to your starting battery. Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bencherry121 View Post
    Mine does same thing, I am on my 3rd unit that humminbird has replaced. Very annoying. I have 8 gauge directly from unit to 2 31 series that are parallel. I gave up and I am currently just having to reboot when it does it. I try to clear my tracks at the start of the day and I removed 2,200 waypoints to try to save space. This seemed to help a little. The old core units were bulletproof and the new ones seem to have all kinds of bugs unfortunately
    Last edited by bobcoy; 05-14-2019 at 06:17 AM.

7. Member
    I spoke to humminbird directly yesterday, they said bad waypoints could be one source of the issue. So I cleared all of the waypoints I pulled from the 999(hmx or something type) and converted them to GPX type. Will also be rewiring directly to the battery with 12 gauge wire and inline fuse. If 8 gauge wire is required that is just ridiculous, the hydraulic jack plate or power poles don’t even require that! I will also be doing the software update from 3.23 to 3.40 to see if this resolved the issue. What should the voltage be reading at while the motor is not running?

Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    I spoke to humminbird directly yesterday, they said bad waypoints could be one source of the issue. So I cleared all of the waypoints I pulled from the 999(hmx or something type) and converted them to GPX type. Will also be rewiring directly to the battery with 12 gauge wire and inline fuse. If 8 gauge wire is required that is just ridiculous, the hydraulic jack plate or power poles don’t even require that! I will also be doing the software update from 3.23 to 3.40 to see if this resolved the issue. What should the voltage be reading at while the motor is not running?
    A fully charged standard battery is 12.7-12.7 volts. You want to be within a couple tenths of that to start with.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    DTS you could compromise with #10. But as Wayne said you should not be dropping more than .2 volts with the units powered on measuring at the battery and at the leads to your units power. ( the larger wire lowers the voltage drop) The current carrying ability is not the issue. Bob

The goal is to minimize voltage drop .... if all is well, with a fully charged battery the units shouldn't display less than 12.5 volts. If less than that something is wrong with the wiring.

If you are going to re-do the wiring it doesn't make sense to not use larger wire than you think is necessary. As stated by others, it's not about how much current the wire can carry ... it's about minimizing voltage drop.

11. Member
    I can understand the voltage drop issue, however the power wires for the unit themselves are not but 14, or 16 sometimes 18 gauge wiring. Why would larger wire than what is supplied with the unit be of any help? I'm not trying to start an argument here im just wondering why if 10 gauge is the standard why isn't the power wiring that comes with the unit 10 gauge as well?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    A fully charged standard battery is 12.7-12.7 volts. You want to be within a couple tenths of that to start with.
    Thank you for the response Wayne, now I have something to monitor it by. The only time i have seen it drop below that is when the motor is being cranked.

I can understand the voltage drop issue, however the power wires for the unit themselves are not but 14, or 16 sometimes 18 gauge wiring. Why would larger wire than what is supplied with the unit be of any help? I'm not trying to start an argument here im just wondering why if 10 gauge is the standard why isn't the power wiring that comes with the unit 10 gauge as well?
    The power cord conductors are appropriate for their length-6'. If you can connect the power cord directly to the battery, you won't have a voltage drop issue.
    When you have to add LENGTH to the power cord to reach the battery in any manner, that extra LENGTH is what adds more resistance. You overcome the resistance with larger conductors.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

The power cord conductors are appropriate for their length-6'. If you can connect the power cord directly to the battery, you won't have a voltage drop issue.
    When you have to add LENGTH to the power cord to reach the battery in any manner, that extra LENGTH is what adds more resistance. You overcome the resistance with larger conductors.
    Exactly .... as usual

The total resistance of the circuit is going to be determined by the size of the wire, the length of the wire, the resistance in the connections and fuses.

It's a fact that people who go larger with their wire and are anal about the quality of their connection have fewer problems with their sonar equipment.

I personally also use twisted pair wire for my power wiring which helps reject interference in the power circuit.

16. Member
    Wayne, should I do the update from the current 3.23 Software to the 3.40 Software?

Wayne, should I do the update from the current 3.23 Software to the 3.40 Software?
    You may like the changes that parallel the G2 menus.

Your saved settings won't work though. Good chance to re-familarize yourself with the menus/settings.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

One more thing, if you are linked with an ONIX, that won't work anymore. Read the description.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    One more thing, if you are linked with an ONIX, that won't work anymore. Read the description.
    No sir, i will only be linking to a 999siHD.

20. Member
    Ok, updated to 3.40 from 3.23, ran all 12 gauge wire with in line fuse and deleted all waypoints and converted to GPX and reuploaded. Unit still freezes when I stop to fish and leave the imaging on and can’t get it to start again unless I reboot. And yes I watched the voltage with big motor not running and it was always over 12, most of the time 12.5-12.7 all day. Any other ideas other than calling humminbird?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast