$100 Shakey Head Rod

My original 7’ MH BPS Carbonlite spinning rod broke today so I’m looking for a replacement. I’m not a fan of the new carbonlites and I’m sure there’s something better out there. Any suggestions for a shakey head rod around $100-150?
    Last edited by dabassking; 05-13-2019 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Increased spending limit

2. Member
    For a $100 St Croix Bass X 6'8" MXF or 7'1" MHF. Although spend an extra $30 and get a Mojo. The SCIII blank is worth the extra $30 IMO.

3. Member
    I really like the Ark Honey Badger Meterman. It's a 7' medium fast with a really good blank. MSRP IS 130.00 but it can be found for $100.00.

4. Member
    Falcon lowrider on sale $99.99
    Sportsmansoutfitters.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    For a $100 St Croix Bass X 6'8" MXF or 7'1" MHF. Although spend an extra $30 and get a Mojo. The SCIII blank is worth the extra $30 IMO.
    I went to Cabela’s yesterday and played with some rods. Every St Croix that I handled (Bass X, Mojo, and Premier) all felt very tip heavy. Maybe that balances out with a reel on it, but the BPS Pro Qualifier and Shimano Curado that I picked up felt way better in my hand. I’m thinking I’m going to bump my spending limit up to $150 to get a few more options.

6. Member
    St Croix does run a little tip heavy but balances out however when you’re fishing it you dont notice it at all. IMO St Croix makes the best spinning rods on this planet but the casting rods are par for the course. The Bass X rods are great for the price. If you bump up to $150 then I’d go with a Mojo 7’-1” med action plastics rod. The other options would be a Fenwick Elite Tech. It’s all personal preference. People love the Lews TP1 Rods but I can’t stand them because of the handle and how it feels.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    You can find Abu Garcia Villain 2.0s for $150. Great spinning rods. I use the 7’m for my shakey heads

I've got a 7-2 MH Tatula spinning (not the XT) that I've barely used. It worked well for a shakyhead.
    If you're interested, I would sell it well within your price range.

9. Member
    You're not a fan of the carbonlite spinning rods? Digging for more details. what are you looking for in the new rod that the carbonlite didn't have?
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

10. Member
    If you liked the original carbonlites...then take a look at the powell inferno. I picked up a medium spinning rod recently and it is very much like the carbonlites. Very sensitive, a tad overpower, well made. I used to have a medium heavy carbonlite but sold it like a dummy.

11. Member
    13 Fishing Fate Black
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.