Angry Water separation filter/fuel leak third time to replace on a 2018 G2 250

I was prefishing today and noticed a gas smell from the back of the boat. This is the second time this happened, the first was 1/19. The engine wouldn't start, though after sitting for 20 minutes as I trolled with my Ultrex toward the ramp about 3 miles away, I managed to start it up and it ran roughly around 1110 rpm's back to the ramp at a fast idle speed. The fuel water separator failed like this the first time in January 2019 not allowing me to finish a tournament. When I got home, I took the cowling off when I got home and the gasket on the filter was pushed forward with fuel spraying out when I powered up the engine. I started the day with 74% fuel on the Icon gauge and at home it registered 18%!
    I am the second owner of the boat with the first owner having the filter changed (I found out later!) due to a service bulletin issued on it being defective when he was out at a Costa tournament by the factory trailer/personnel that were there. The first failure I had was the same as this time with the gasket lip pushed forward and fuel spraying out with 99 hours on the engine. I currently have 135 hours, so the first repair basically lasted about 36 hours.

Has anybody had the same issue, if so more than once, and what did BRP have to say/do about it. I understand they can have faulty parts, but that was supposed to be addressed when it was repaired the first time. I will be taking it in Monday for repair to my dealer who repaired it the first time under warranty. I also feel this is a dangerous situation with fuel spilling out as much as it did and happening without warning. Fortunately so far I have not been too distant from the ramp to get back. The only way this time I could get it to start and run was letting it sit awhile and starting it with the engine tilted about 100% up. I am also going to ask for some money to reimburse me for fuel loss as we all know gas is not cheap!

Needless to say, I was very hesitant of owning another Evinrude after my first one was a lemon, a Ficht Rude Ram engine. The 10 year warranty was a huge incentive and I have been pleased with the engine otherwise. I will see what my dealer and BRP has to say, but the fact of stranding me somewhere is not a pleasant thought as I fish some pretty remote areas.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    For what it’s worth, I was told [if possible] to run ethanol-free fuel, because the ethanol is weakening the plastic filter housing.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    If it is a fuel issue, BRP needs to say it. From what I understand, BRP updated the part and I thought my dealer put that one in. I will find out more on Monday. I add fuel stabilizer and cleaner to my gas as it is. With the increased price of non ethanol gas and availability in some areas, I doubt the majority of boaters with this engine run ethanol free. I would think the issue would be way more common too. BRP currently says 87 is fine.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....filter+housing here is some information on the problem!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

5. Member
    Yes that was my previous post for the first time it happened to me.

Was the filter overtightened? Seems thats the only way the gasket could be pushed out like that

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

7. Member
    According to my dealer it is a faulty part, and they have an updated one, I guess updating the previous updated one with double grooves for the gasket to seat better. The previous fuel separator assembly part number was 5011045 and now is 5011097. So far BRP is a no go for reimbursement for the fuel I lost idling back an hour to the ramp as my % fuel lost went from 74% to 18%. That’s a lot of fuel spewing out! I guess until someone’s engine catches fire or there is an explosion, no big deal. Customer service was very nice and acted concerned, but couldn’t find any recalls listed for my engine’s serial number. My engine was built in March 2017 so it is actually a 2017, not a 2018. I hope this doesn’t happen to anyone else!

8. Member
    Also make sure your using the latest version of the filter itself, the material that the seal is made out of was updated to help with this issue.

9. Member
    Thanks! I did hear that from a BRP tech who said the updated part is made of a different material as the old part was warping and I guess allowing the gasket to come out of its seal.